Sonoma County, CA quail keepers/processors?

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 15, 2019
Klamath County, OR
I was wondering if anyone on this board is in Sonoma County, CA, and whether they process their quail themselves or have someone to do it for them. I don't have a problem eating my extra quail, but I don't think I can kill them myself. I have been doing internet searches like crazy and have contacted three butchers so far with no luck.

I would love to work out a deal with someone local to process my quail in exchange for some of the meat or eggs. If there is anyone local to me who might know where I can get my extra birds processed, I would really appreciate the info. :)

My first batch of jumbo coturnix eggs will be arriving mid to late June.

I'm not sure I've ever found a processor that will do them near me (or you), and the ones I have seen advertising them farther away always charge more than chickens, which is lame, because they're so easy.

I would try Craigslist too! There are a surprisingly few # of californians on this forum and most of us are too concerned with the VND issue right now to handle/expose our birds to un-QT'd flocks unnecessarily.

Something that @Sara L and I did when we were both squeamish about processing our first rabbits was do it together! I would make @el dorado quail at least come keep us company too, she is about to be in the same boat. :lau

But even the logistics of that with quail are a little complicated by the current disease concerns. :hmm I can't say that I would feel comfortable hosting anytime this year and I'm not sure anyone else could either.

Where in Sonoma county are you? I think there's a butcher shop in Santa rosa that might help you out? Can't remember where it is or the name I saw an advertisement in the paper 2 or 3 yrs ago when I was visiting my grandma...
I work in Santa Rosa, so I'll see if I can find them. It's beginning to sound more and more like I'm going to have to learn how to do it myself or try to sell the extra live birds. 0_0

I work in Santa Rosa, so I'll see if I can find them. It's beginning to sound more and more like I'm going to have to learn how to do it myself or try to sell the extra live birds. 0_0

Potentially....I think a lot of people kind of underestimate that part at first!

It is such a common post topic I made a thread about it a while ago.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-psa-about-quail-roos-and-population-control.1299631/

We will help make sure you are set up to do it as easy as possible. :hugs Crossing my fingers for that butcher to come through so it's not necessary.

Selling the live birds is totally an option, but the market's pretty flooded in your/our area with extra males, so it would probably be to people like hunting dog trainers. That's easier for some people to deal with, but personally unless I'm letting a bird go to a good situation where it gets to live instead I'd rather just process it myself, get the delicious benefit, and be able to make sure it's quick.

I knew that I was going to have to cull extras, I was just hoping to not have to do it myself. I'm mostly scared that I'll mess up and it won't be quick and humane. That, and I've never killed anything other than bugs, and I'm a bit squeamish even about that.

Keep looking for someone! Post on CL, call all the butchers.

But if you can't find someone the good news is that there is almost no way to take sharp shears to a quail neck without killing it quick. The part that will freak you out is the moments after that, when it seems like they might not be gone (they are!). That is why many of us have adopted an effective but undignified technique of snip-shriek-drop in plastic bag and then come back a minute or two later.

I knew that I was going to have to cull extras, I was just hoping to not have to do it myself. I'm mostly scared that I'll mess up and it won't be quick and humane. That, and I've never killed anything other than bugs, and I'm a bit squeamish even about that.

I'm not against training hunting dogs at all but having been at training i think it's kinder to process them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom