some basic info please

Granny Hatchet

Tastes like chicken
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 26, 2013
madison Indiana
hi, I have been raising chickens for some time. I went to a swap and was possessed by the duck Gods. I bought one white girl duck and put her with my chickens. That is the extent of my knowledge about ducks. I did give her a tub of water to play in but wondering about feed. can she get her bill in the chicken feeders ? She keeps giving me a look so i am sure i am not doing something right . Can some one please pass me some basic info ? also is there medicine or wormer interactions from chicken to duck?

Ducks have a very different relationship with water than chickens do.

And I am not sure what kind of chicken feeder you have, but the duck may need something deeper. Ducks don't roost, so I would make sure she has a place to rest where she won't get pooped on.

And actually, I would keep her separate until I had a fecal sample checked by a vet lab to be sure she doesn't have anything she could pass to the chickens.

thank you Amiga. little late to keep them apart. and yes, i know better. i dont know what i was thinking. the feeder is one that has the pan under it and it spills in ? filled from the top. so a gap really where the food is. I do have flock raiser.

Many folks use flock raiser. I might consider a duck feeder (a.k.a. non-tip dog dish) or something they can really shovel into.

If you can get ahold of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks or The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook, those are good references for raising ducks.

Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom