Silkies will not move, eat or drink on there own.

Feather Mommy

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
I have 2 Silkie hens. They are a year old. I have found them both in the pen on their sides, not really able to walk. One had mites. I got rid of those. Her vent is clean. The other, the vent is clean, no mites. They won't move all day. I have to force them to eat. No worms in poop. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

With the amount of information you've provided, the symptoms could be from vitamin deficiency, hyperthermia or hypothermia depending on whether it's summer or winter where you live, or it could be an avian virus such as Marek's or lymphoid leusosis.

Are they your only chickens? Have you checked your feed for any mold, discoloration or a funny odor? Were they vaccinated for Mareks? Can you get them drinking water, and add either some SaveChick electrolytes, or use sugar water or Gatorade room temperature. What are you using for mites? Do you see mites on her belly, under wings, neck ect? Permethrin is good in dust pr liquid spray.

Last edited:
Hi
What do you feed them? The whole coop needs to be treated for mites since they are everywhere. any other symptoms?
Yes, I treated the coop and the area. I opened the waterer and there was what looked like black mold. That is the first time I have ever seen that. I usually refill every 2 1/2 weeks. They are lethargic. One looks like it has bumblefoot, the other ones feet are fine. I was going to soak her feet and remove them, but she is so weak.

Yes, I treated the coop and the area. I opened the waterer and there was what looked like black mold. That is the first time I have ever seen that. I usually refill every 2 1/2 weeks. They are lethargic. One looks like it has bumblefoot, the other ones feet are fine. I was going to soak her feet and remove them, but she is so weak.
I feed them Nature Crest Layer Feed, Non GMO
Nature-Crest-Layer-Pellet-146x300.png

Available in 50 lb bag
WHERE TO BUY
DOWNLOADABLE PDF

NatureCrest Layer Feed​

Great for laying hens
  • Mini-pellet formulated with wheat midds, milo, and black oil sunflower seeds as the main ingredients.
  • Contains Marigold Extract to enhance egg yolk color.
  • Includes flax seed to provide omega-3 fatty acids.

NatureCrest Layer Feed is a mini-pellet formulated with wheat midds, milo, and black oil sunflower seeds as the main ingredients, with diatomaceous earth added.
Great for laying hens and broilers. Contains Marigold Extract to enhance egg yolk color and flax seed to provide omega-3 fatty acids.
Remember to change feeds slowly over a 2 week period. Abrupt changes in laying hen’s diets can cause them to stop laying.

Are they your only chickens? Have you checked your feed for any mold, discoloration or a funny odor? Were they vaccinated for Mareks? Can you get them drinking water, and add either some SaveChick electrolytes, or use sugar water or Gatorade room temperatur
I checked food as well, no mold. I bought them from a feed store, they came from Cackle Hatchery. Doubt they were vaccinated.

I checked food as well, no mold. I bought them from a feed store, they came from Cackle Hatchery. Doubt they were vaccinated.
Not my only chickens, but there pen is separate because they are so small. They are in a coop within a coop. There food and water are separate from my other layers and roosters. They do not directly interact with them. They can see each other through a fence.

Back
Top Bottom