Silkie Chick came with a gunky eye

Zephyrdoodle

Hatching
Sep 29, 2019
Hello! We are first time backyard chickens owners. We got our silkie chicks from a reputable breeder in our state (I drove to pick them up) and I noticed at home one of our 6 chicks, Buffy, had a gunky eye. It is bubbly and matting the hair under her eye. I tried 10 days of neosporin around the eye. When applied it helped keep her eye clear. When I stop the bubbling comes right back. The condition hasn’t spread to her other eye or to any of the other birds. She eats well, forages well, poop is normal, and overall is in great shape with no respiratory issues that I observe. She is now 4.5 months old. Any thoughts on what it could be? And how can I help her? Thank you!
F14183D0-9EB3-4F52-82CB-C97CC22D0113.jpeg

Thank you for your response! I will check out VetRx.

Are most/all gunky eyes in chickens attributed to a respiratory infection? I’m wondering why her condition has not deteriorated over the past 4.5 months and also hasn’t spread to any of the other hens?

Are most/all gunky eyes in chickens attributed to a respiratory infection? I’m wondering why her condition has not deteriorated over the past 4.5 months and also hasn’t spread to any of the other hens?
Yes, usually. Respiratory infections usually stay the same until treated, IMO

Hello! We are first time backyard chickens owners. We got our silkie chicks from a reputable breeder in our state (I drove to pick them up) and I noticed at home one of our 6 chicks, Buffy, had a gunky eye. It is bubbly and matting the hair under her eye. I tried 10 days of neosporin around the eye. When applied it helped keep her eye clear. When I stop the bubbling comes right back. The condition hasn’t spread to her other eye or to any of the other birds. She eats well, forages well, poop is normal, and overall is in great shape with no respiratory issues that I observe. She is now 4.5 months old. Any thoughts on what it could be? And how can I help her? Thank you!
View attachment 1921549

Bubbles in the eye usually indicates Mycoplasma, but it would be good to get some testing to find out. A vet, your state lab or an independent lab can do that for you.

Flush the eye with saline and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin 2-3 times a day. Try to remove as much gunk as you can each time. Since it hasn't spread and she's showing no other symptoms, really look in the eye to see if there may be some debris or a feather in there that's caused the infection.
You can also try an antibiotic like Tylan (Tylosin). Tylan50 can be hard to find right now, but it would be worth calling your feed store to see if they have any. If not, you can order Tylosin powder online.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Bubbles in the eye usually indicates Mycoplasma, but it would be good to get some testing to find out. A vet, your state lab or an independent lab can do that for you.

Flush the eye with saline and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin 2-3 times a day. Try to remove as much gunk as you can each time. Since it hasn't spread and she's showing no other symptoms, really look in the eye to see if there may be some debris or a feather in there that's caused the infection.
You can also try an antibiotic like Tylan (Tylosin). Tylan50 can be hard to find right now, but it would be worth calling your feed store to see if they have any. If not, you can order Tylosin powder online.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

I agree 100% :) Also wanted to add on the testing front, that a lab called Zoologix will do testing for you, and you just need to send them three throat swabs. You would want to get them to run their respiratory panel, which costs $98.

Also, until you know for sure what's going on, avoid selling or giving away any of your birds, just in case. You wouldn't want to spread a disease along to another flock.

Call the lab, and I imagine that they send the swabs and tell you how to collect them from the nostrils and throat. Your state vet also may be able to help with testing at a much less expensive cost. MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum is a common respiratory disease that causes bubbles or foam in an eye, conjunctivitis, and may cause sinus infection and swelling aound an eye or the face. It can be passed by carrier birds (chickens, other poultry, and wild birds,) and it also can be passed through hatching eggs from a parent. Tylan (tylosin) is approved for poultry to treat MG. Here is a list of state poultry vets to ask about testing and another for Zoologix:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom