Aug 8, 2018
My little brother has 7 chicks, 3 of which are Silver Sebrights and after browsing the internet and reading this site i have learned that they fly well would he be docked points if his show bird went into show with a clipped wing?

I doubt anyone on here knows the rules of your local county fair, especially without you specifying which county it is. I'd suggest calling the show people and asking.

Net roofing is a good idea anyway to keep hawks away, no harm in using it both to prevent aerial predation and to keep your chickens in.

Our local county Fair

Generally speaking, clipped wings are a massive no-no in nearly all shows. He may not just have points docked but actually be disqualified for clipped wings. The birds will be fine & if you’re afraid of them running away, keep them penned up. Birds at the fair are kept in cages so there’s no chance of them escaping while on display. Their wings can’t be clipped for showmanship either.

My little brother has 7 chicks, 3 of which are Silver Sebrights and after browsing the internet and reading this site i have learned that they fly well would he be docked points if his show bird went into show with a clipped wing?
According to the SOP the modifying of a bird is against the rules
Generally speaking, clipped wings are a massive no-no in nearly all shows. He may not just have points docked but actually be disqualified for clipped wings. The birds will be fine & if you’re afraid of them running away, keep them penned up. Birds at the fair are kept in cages so there’s no chance of them escaping while on display. Their wings can’t be clipped for showmanship either.
Agreed

Only some breeds are allowed to have clipped wings, if they are judging by the APA SOP. And these are duck breeds, not chicken breeds. Calls, for example, are allowed to have clipped wings because they are fully flighted otherwise. I do not believe any such exemption is made for any chicken breeds.

Back
Top Bottom