Sexing Rouen ducks by bill color???

Paganrose

Songster
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Albany,, Wisconsin
Is it possible to sex rouen ducks by thier bill color? The ducks I have/had the males had lighter bills and the female had dark ones. Has anyone else experianced this??? Or is just a fluke in my small flock???

58401_hpim1035.jpg

The adult males have yellow bills and adult females have black or black and yellow bills. I'll have to look at my babies to see if it's the same for young ones but I don't think so. I believe the drakes' bills lighten as they get older. I'll check my pics
smile.png

ETA: Of course none of my pictures show their bills very well. I've got a pair of young rouens (about a month old), but they are outside with some baby geese. The goslings just went outside today after being inside for the first 3-ish weeks of their lives, so I'd rather not bother them now and get the goslings all upset
roll.png
I will check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure they both have dark bills now. However, the different colors on the adults' bills is normal
smile.png

Last edited:
I noticed the different bill color when they were young (before they were fully grown and had different colors) But I do not remember if they had the different colored bills as chicks.....

Mine are both about a month old and I just got them today. But I don't think theirs are different at this time, I will check them tomorrow.

here is a pic of some of my ducks a few weeks before getting their colors. The two lighter beaks in front are males, (of the ones that can be seen) the darker beak in back behind the geese is female.
58401_hpim0778.jpg

Seven weeks give or take a week~dark beak
58401_079.jpg

seven weeks give or take (same day as above) ~light beak
58401_080.jpg

I dont have any pics of them younger than this, although I have one duckling that just hatched with a dark beak, and 4 more due next week..... I will have to keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom