Sexing Houdans

Magpie2

Songster
Dec 7, 2021
I have two mottled Houdan chicks and I’ve noticed that they’re developing differently. Still hoping they could both be girls but what do you think?
Breeder says it could just be a difference in growth rates. She hasn’t been able to successfully sex these until about 4 or 5 weeks.

Fuzz butt at one week and 71g
1676921034557.jpeg

1676921050845.jpeg

Tail feathers and good eye contact, also one week. 71g
1676921131993.jpeg

I’m hoping that the bigger one might just be a little older since the feathers on the head and shoulders are a little bit bigger too
1676921165223.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not familiar with the breed, but it is difficult to tell gender at this age on most chicks. If they are possibly different ages that will make it even more challenging.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the breed, but it is difficult to tell gender at this age on most chicks. If they are possibly different ages that will make it even more challenging.
The breed is quite unusual and has a lot of difference between the European and North American strains. They were mixed with Polish in North America so many are a lot smaller and have a V comb instead of the classic butterfly comb of the original European strain.
I spoke to the breeder and she said that she can’t generally tell until they’re 4-5 weeks old. Her stock is the European size but has both comb types.
Maybe the mixed strains can cause different rates of development? I don’t know.

I read online that sometimes females get their tail feathers first, and the fuzz butt is starting to act a little bit like a cockerel lately. Crazy energy, jumping, running, etc. The other is high energy too so I’m hoping that I’m wrong and I just have an extra crazy girl.

The breed is quite unusual and has a lot of difference between the European and North American strains. They were mixed with Polish in North America so many are a lot smaller and have a V comb instead of the classic butterfly comb of the original European strain.
I spoke to the breeder and she said that she can’t generally tell until they’re 4-5 weeks old. Her stock is the European size but has both comb types.
Maybe the mixed strains can cause different rates of development? I don’t know.

I read online that sometimes females get their tail feathers first, and the fuzz butt is starting to act a little bit like a cockerel lately. Crazy energy, jumping, running, etc. The other is high energy too so I’m hoping that I’m wrong and I just have an extra crazy girl.
Updates on sexes for those chicks?

Back
Top Bottom