SEVIN DUST for mites

Pics

doublejfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Modoc, SC
Anyone ever heard of putting Sevin dust directly on chickens for the control of mites/ lice. Do you just just throw on them or what? I don't want to hurt them.

There are 2 ways you can dust birds:
1. Fill a small garbage bag with dust and dunk the chicken in up to the neck. Cinch it around the neck to prevent dust from going into the bird's face, and swirl it around. This is easier with 2 people- one to hold the bird and bag, and the other to swish the bag around, covering the bird with dust.

2. Cut the leg off a pair of panty hose. Fill the foot with dust and use it like a powder puff on the bird. Puff under their wings and around the vent very well. This is much easier, neater and really only needs one person to accomplish.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

What is the "inactive" ingredients in Sevin Dust? I think I read somewhere once that it is 95% DE, is that correct? If so, what type of DE is it? I've looked all over the net and can't find any facts. Thanks

I use a cheese shaker, like in an Italian restaraunt. Hold the bird dangling by the legs and dust under the wings and tail and all over. Try to keep it out of the birds face, but a little won`t hurt. Sevin is safe for nests, even those with broodies with chicks. Been doing it for years like this..........Pop

I sprinkle Seven Dust in my coop in the wood shavings as well as in the dust boxes in the run. I figure when the girls are dust bathing they are also helping to control mites.

Awesome. Thanks y'all. I learn something new every day. I was told to do it with the bag but I wanted to check with my BYC brethren first. The guy that told me about it called it " sjhake and bake" cool. Ill do that then. One more question though... SEVIN kills the mites / lice. But don't I need to re treat for the eggs after the hatch?

Yes. You need to re-treat in 7-10 days. Don't forget to clean out the entire coop and treat it, as well.

Back
Top Bottom