Saved a goose egg, is it too late tho? Please help:(

another question for you all...
woke up and the darn humidifier was off, for the maximum of an hour. Looked at the egg, noticed 2 brown drops, took a clean darn warm qtip to blot it away & see what it was and it was sticky, just as caramel would be, same color as well.. ( I smelt it and it smelt like 'spices'...?) is this the leakage I was warned about? Its been an hour and no more. Could it have been from the lack of humidity!?? God I am so worried about this egg!!

Hello guys, can someone please respond? 2 mornings now I have checked on the egg and seen a drop or 2 of water on the egg where the air cell is. (The caramel-like drops i explained in previous post is a result of the drop of water on the egg..the water from sitting there on the egg turned brown and caramel like.)

In your opinions, are these drops of water are leakage?
here is pic, (I know the set up looks horrible!, but its a small closed off room, temp is right and so is humidity... its like a walk in incubator;p) there are no cracks on the egg.

dscn1254i.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL!!! Well, that makes me feel better, it might just be dirty from the nest, etc. and the humidity mixing with it. I tend to get paranoid when I am worried about something ...! Well only another week or so will tell! I'll try to stop worrying and relax.

Thanks Wifezilla:)

Since about mid April my husband I noticed a nest 30 ft from out porch. The parents came to see us regularly and we've been feeding them on her 'breaks' from incubating. Last night, I heard what sounded like geese crying, and as i look out I see about ten gees, including 'ours' all in the water near the nest. It took a second to realize, a cat had raided the nest.
My husband went out and inspected, one egg was away from the nest, opened and the baby was pretty well developed- however dead. Out of 5 eggs one was left, the others unaccounted for.

Well, we waited close to an hour and the geese did not return to the nest. I took it in, and am attempting to incubate it.

I noticed a smell coming from the egg, not too intense, but a not so nice smell. Does this mean the egg is probably dead? I've tried candling it, however its to no avail as I dont think the light is bright enough or the egg is too thick.

Based on my assumptions, Im guessing the eggs had another week or so to go. Should I be hearing noises? Will the egg move around a bit at this point? What are signs to look for to see if it's alive.. or too late?? :-(

I noticed the geese returning to the nest and poking around. They are staying by our porch now.

I could really use some advice, I would like to hatch it and then perhaps turn it into a center to get it back to wildlife.

Thanks! :)
If the egg is oozing then it is a rotten egg and just get rid of it because it can explode on you. Any eggs that smell when you sniff them usually
are bad and need to be removed. They become a bacteria egg and can kill the other eggs if they explode..

All you can do is candle the eggs and see if they look like they are growing inside or just the yolk inside then they are bad get rid of them.

If it was from a pair of native wild geese (assuming you live in the US) you probably should have left it, and let nature take its course. Many times it is highly illegal to take a wild bird/animal. Even if you have good intentions, it can backfire. There are lots of cases where wild babies couldn't be rehabilitated due to imprinting on well meaning human rescuers.

I do sympathize though. It's hard to see wild animals go through something like that after you get emotionally attached to them. :(

Back
Top Bottom