Salpingitis Question Is My Flock at Risk?

ChicNmom

Songster
Dec 26, 2020
Wilton NH
My 4 year old Red Star has Salpingitis. Her shell gland never worked properly. Sometimes it looked like there was a seam around the middle or she laid soft eggs no matter how much calcium I gave her.

She hasn't laid an egg this Spring and I was hoping for Henopause. I did give her a course of ABX a few weeks ago because she seemed slightly off and I was hoping to prevent this from happening.

She has been noticeably off for a couple of days and I saw my first tiny lash egg come out of her. A nearby hen tried to grab it. So I don't know if other small lash eggs have come out and I didn't see them or one of the other girls ate it. eewww

I was reading about Salpingitis earlier and noticed the article implied it could be contagious. I don't know if Rosie's is viral or bacterial. I'm assuming bacterial from the egg material build up.

If it's contagious the others have been exposed.

Has anyone had this spread through their flock?

Or is possibly the viral version more contagious?

Is there anything besides ABX I should give the other chickens?

Please add in anything I should be asking but didn't.

Salpingitis itself is not contagious, but the cause of it could be. Lash eggs, which are a buildup of pus caused by salpingitis, are usually infectious and contagious. If your chickens ate some of that lash egg, then I would assume they would get the infection that caused it in the first place. That isn't a death sentence, but a good course of antibiotics is definitely needed.

Thank you for responding! I have 5 that could potentially be at risk.
I haven't seen them eat them but it's possible.

I guess everyone is getting a round of ABX just to be sure. :(

Back
Top Bottom