Roughly how much?

Momto3

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Northern Idaho
I know this might not be able to be answered. We are hoping to recycle wood from our garage construction for the coop, but also need to build a run & fence in an area for them to free range in with chicken fence & metal t posts. Do you think we will be able to do all of that for roughly 500? The part we are going to fence in isnt huge. I am just scared it is going to cost so much more then that. Also the area we are goign to fence off for them has a handful of tree in so we can cover it, so how high should it be? I also plan on trimming 1 of their wings. Ok thanks.

edited for horrible grammer issues.
smile.png

Last edited:
if u clip there wings 5ft is good enough as long as they cant get on top of anything inside the run, as far as ur coop goes check craigslist in ur area for used fencing and materials u can save alot of money that way

Madrooster, CL sucks in our area, very rural so not alot of people use it. I keep checking it every day for wood, fence, posts, a whole coop, you name it I have looked for it. Thanks for the info.

well im in the forclosure buisness so i get all my materials for free lol yes i know it sucs hard life on the farm, i built one once out of 1x2 pressure treated wood like the pickets on handrail and chicken wire looked nice and lasted a good while too preety cheap way to go

If you are able to get a good bit of recycled materials, I would think that $500 would be plenty. Then again, I don't know what size area you are fencing in. A small area to you might not mean the same thing to me. As for the height, I would say if you are going to be in it (I'm in mine all the time), you might want to make it at least 6 ft high...if you're going to cover it at all (which I reccommend).
If CL doesn't work for you in your area, check surplus stores, clearance sales in home improvement stores, etc. Maybe put an ad in the wanted section of your local paper?

How high can depend on the breed you get. Heavy birds can be maintained in lower fenced in area. I have 4' chain link and they rarely get out and when they do it's cuz I left something to close to the fence for them to make the leap from or left the gate open.

Heres a pic of my runs. They are 6' in the front and 5' in the back. Made with 2x4's and covered with poultry wire. One is 24' long by 8' the other is 16x8' . I have metal sheeting on the top of one and tarps temporarily on the other. The tarps are supported with plywood pieces and card boxes. Holding up ok for now.

23908_winter_2010_dec_snow_fort_and_coop_004.jpg
I doubt both of them together cost $500.

Back
Top Bottom