Roosters leg is swollen and feverish. Any advise please.

bogiemouse

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2020
Hell everyone, I was hoping that someone here could help identify what's going on with my roosters leg. We thought it may be bumble foot and have been soaking it in epson salt bath for about a week and a half. Also using pred as well as vetericyn plus and still having trouble with issues. No scab was present. We have also tried cleaning around leg feather follicles. They are very swollen as well. I tried cutting on the bump on his foot and lots of blood came out. I am mot sure if i went down deep enough or not. He did have a small black scab on his little toe that had what I would call a pus ribbon. I got out what I could see. He has been fighting with 2 roosters for a while and thought maybe he might of injured himself in that time but can't seem to find anything that feels out of place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't won't to loose him... Also, the scabs that you see are from where I have dug looking for any signs of pus/ kernels. Thanks so much in advance.
16847727084605305278434716675659.jpg
16847727498974589834763328899625.jpg

Last edited:
I just found your thread and wanted to ask how your rooster is doing?

This looks like an infection of the feather follicles which can be promoted by molt as the pin feather shafts poke through the sensitive skin thus making it more receptive for infections. Sadly, this is rather common with breeds that have feathered feet.

If a vet is not an option, here is what I would do:

Spray with Blue Kote or similar after giving him a thorough foot bath with some desinfectant.
Maybe you even have to pull out some feathers to alleviate the pressure.
In case the infection has already spread, give oral antibiotics for 10 consecutive days.

I just found your thread and wanted to ask how your rooster is doing?

This looks like an infection of the feather follicles which can be promoted by molt as the pin feather shafts poke through the sensitive skin thus making it more receptive for infections. Sadly, this is rather common with breeds that have feathered feet.

If a vet is not an option, here is what I would do:

Spray with Blue Kote or similar after giving him a thorough foot bath with some desinfectant.
Maybe you even have to pull out some feathers to alleviate the pressure.
In case the infection has already spread, give oral antibiotics for 10 consecutive days.
Hi there, what antibiotic would you recommend? A broad spectrum or one for staph? I have a black langshan that has similar looking legs and has gone lane. Not sure if the two are related but I am out of other ideas. Almost 4 weeks of vitamin therapy has done nothing and her walking abilities have declined during that time.

what antibiotic would you recommend? A broad spectrum or one for staph?
I would try for staph first which will usually solve it. You should see it getting less inflamed after 4-5 days already but continue the full treatment.

With low winter temperatures/frost I recommend to keep the treated birds somewhere im warmer surroundings (~10 degrees Celsius) or you might risk them getting frostbite on top.

Back
Top Bottom