Removing chicks from the Mother hen

Angus2914

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2016
North Middletown, Ky
My question is, should I remove the baby chicks from the hen after they are hatched? Some have said to do this, but I have also seen baby chicks raised by the hen. The only problem I am concerned about is it is early March and will they be warm enough for them to survive if we have these cool nights. Its always neat to watch the hens raise their chicks.

When the chicks are cold they go underneath the mom to get warmed up, and they sleep underneath the mom at night. So cool nights will not be a problem. Raising them naturally with the mom will give them the ability to acclimate to weather changes better than raising them in a brooder. I've had moms who have taken their young chicks outside in 40 degree daytime temperatures with no problems.

Also, if you take them from the mom she will go crazy looking for her lost chicks.

Forget for a moment what you've heard "others" say.

Consider that chickens have been hatching and raising their own babies without any help from us for thousands of years.

What do you think sounds like the smart thing to do?

When the chicks are cold they go underneath the mom to get warmed up, and they sleep underneath the mom at night. So cool nights will not be a problem. Raising them naturally with the mom will give them the ability to acclimate to weather changes better than raising them in a brooder. I've had moms who have taken their young chicks outside in 40 degree daytime temperatures with no problems.

Also, if you take them from the mom she will go crazy looking for her lost chicks.

Totally agree. Additionally, they will be fully integrated into the flock by the time momma decides they can fend for themselves.

Yep, let her raise the Chicks.....I have two Hens with Chicks and they are fantastic.....Mother Hens do a way better job raising their babies than we could ever do......

I just introduced the one Hen and her two Chicks back to the flock.....It totally went smooth.....The other Hens love the Chicks and the Rooster tidbits to them.....

Cheers!

Years ago, I listened to someone who said if you take the chicks, she'll forget about them quickly. So, my Orp-Brahma girl hatched a bunch of BBS Orps and at a week old, I sold them. I'll NEVER do that again! Glenda looked for her chicks in that pen for literally weeks and weeks. I was almost in tears watching her. It was just pitiful to see her look in the cage and around it. So, the next time she went broody, I let her keep them until she was completely sick of them. I learned my lesson. Now, I watch my birds and let them tell me what is best.

Yes, they will be warm enough. She will make sure of it.

Last edited:
Years ago, I listened to someone who said if you take the chicks, she'll forget about them quickly. So, my Orp-Brahma girl hatched a bunch of BBS Orps and at a week old, I sold them. I'll NEVER do that again! Glenda looked for her chicks in that pen for literally weeks and weeks. I was almost in tears watching her. It was just pitiful to see her look in the cage and around it. So, the next time she went broody, I let her keep them until she was completely sick of them. I learned my lesson. Now, I watch my birds and let them tell me what is best.

Yes, they will be warm enough. She will make sure of it.

Fantastic reply....My Hens also would be upset if I took away the Chicks......

Cheers!

Had chicks hatch late last year. Some of the nights were in the 20s. Chicks ran around in the morning, eating and drinking. When they got cold they'd run to mom. She'd cover them up for a couple minutes. Then the chicks would start running around again, eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom