suburbanchickies

Chirping
Mar 18, 2020
I just found out that my sweet baby hen (about 2.5 weeks old) might actually be a rooster! He is such a sweetheart--very cuddly and tame already. I've never been able to keep roosters because they've always ended up being too rough on the hens and mean to people. Does anyone have any advice on raising a nicer and more gentle rooster? I'd love to be able to keep him because I've grown very attached.

I have never had a mean standard size rooster. They have all learned to respect me as at the top of the pecking order. I don't baby them. They do their thing, protect the ladies and give me fertile eggs, and I do mine. If they get any delusions that they might be higher on the pecking order than I am, I put them in their place by chasing them once or twice and that usually clears things up.

Some roosters are just mean, and there is nothing you can do about that. Others go through a hormonal stage (at about six months) and then grow out of it. It's different for every rooster.

I have never had a mean standard size rooster. They have all learned to respect me as at the top of the pecking order. I don't baby them. They do their thing, protect the ladies and give me fertile eggs, and I do mine. If they get any delusions that they might be higher on the pecking order than I am, I put them in their place by chasing them once or twice and that usually clears things up.

Some roosters are just mean, and there is nothing you can do about that. Others go through a hormonal stage (at about six months) and then grow out of it. It's different for every rooster.
That's great to know! Chasing them around sounds hilarious and like something I'll be sure to try if needed. Hadn't thought of that!

I just found out that my sweet baby hen (about 2.5 weeks old) might actually be a rooster! He is such a sweetheart--very cuddly and tame already. I've never been able to keep roosters because they've always ended up being too rough on the hens and mean to people. Does anyone have any advice on raising a nicer and more gentle rooster? I'd love to be able to keep him because I've grown very attached.
It sounds like the opposite of what would work, but don't cuddle him, let him know from early on that you are boss, as SBF said

That's great to know! Chasing them around sounds hilarious and like something I'll be sure to try if needed. Hadn't thought of that!

I have had multiple roosters in the same flock and have been able to observe how they treat each other. If the Alpha feels like the under roo is pushing boundaries, he'll give him a good chase until the under roo gives up. It's how the flock dynamics work.

I live out in the country, but on the corner of a 2 highway intersection. All farmers around here, we know them well. Yard is smaller and very open. I’m just picturing myself chasing my rooster while the neighbors watch. 😂😂 this gave me a good laugh.

I live out in the country, but on the corner of a 2 highway intersection. All farmers around here, we know them well. Yard is smaller and very open. I’m just picturing myself chasing my rooster while the neighbors watch. 😂😂 this gave me a good laugh.

You do whatever works :gig

Back
Top Bottom