Quail ill - can't stand, not eating or drinking

Cubsquails

Hatching
May 14, 2024
I hope someone can advise. One of our quails has been unwell for the past 3 days. She became lifeless and floppy, couldn't seem to stand up. I wondered whether she had become a bit hot in the sun over the weekend. We've removed her from the other quails and she's in a box with food and water. She doesn't seem to be eating or drinking and still can't move without flopping on to her side. Do you think there's any hope?

Thanks for getting back to me. She's on Heygate Quail Breeders Feed. She is still quite young (born in mid Feb so she's about 3 months old) and she hasn't started laying yet. I have 4 other quails and they all seem to be doing ok with the same treatment. I've added a few vitamin drops to her water but she can't seem to move without flopping on to her side. She's not pooping much - looks normal grey white.

I looked up what nutrition information I could find on your feed, and it is not adequate. It is only 17% protein, and I can't even find other information, which implies that it's not going to have enough of the other necessary nutrition.

I can't say for sure that malnutrition is the cause of your bird's issues, but the symptoms sound like it to me. Your other birds are likely to start to fail as well, but some will do better than others.

I would start by boiling some eggs and crushing the yolks for her for now. Look for something that will give your birds proper nutrition as soon as possible.

Here is an article that will help you find something with proper nutrition.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-to-feed-your-quail.79205/

Give her some ground beef, mixed with egg yolk. Spike her proteins'

Edit: Cook it, make it easier/pre-digested and add grit.
Not sure what else is low

I hope someone can advise. One of our quails has been unwell for the past 3 days. She became lifeless and floppy, couldn't seem to stand up. I wondered whether she had become a bit hot in the sun over the weekend. We've removed her from the other quails and she's in a box with food and water. She doesn't seem to be eating or drinking and still can't move without flopping on to her side. Do you think there's any hope?
We had a duck like that my mother was feeding it fresh frozen corn. I figured corn was not nutritional. So I went to the bait store and bought worms crawlers and when that duck ate those nightcrawlers up, she was walking all over the place. So maybe your quail needs some crickets and some worms. Might help.

Back
Top Bottom