Quail harmed in back of neck, help!!

pecksandkisses

Songster
Nov 27, 2018
Hey, my male bobwhite quail has a large injury on the back of his neck. The wound is open and appears to have the skin pulled apart. He was sitting on the bottom part of a tree I have the aviary built around. He was very quiet. We have already cleaned the wound + applied antibiotic ointment. We also have quarantined him. Any help is a huge help!!!!

Attachments

• E4F62A1D-2BA9-4AC1-8718-94E2A2351B10.jpeg
    E4F62A1D-2BA9-4AC1-8718-94E2A2351B10.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 51
Hey, my male bobwhite quail has a large injury on the back of his neck. The wound is open and appears to have the skin pulled apart. He was sitting on the bottom part of a tree I have the aviary built around. He was very quiet. We have already cleaned the wound + applied antibiotic ointment. We also have quarantined him. Any help is a huge help!!!!
Is he alert, eating/drinking?
Any idea how he got the wound - another quail picking at him, predator, etc.?

Sounds like you have tended to the wound well. You may need to flush it for a few days and reapply your ointment.
Any other wounds you can find? I would offer him some fluids - see if he will drink. Plain water or electrolytes/poultry vitamins can be added to the water for a day or two. Once he is drinking, then offer food.

Keep him quiet and warm. Hope he starts feeling better soon.

Sounds like you have tended to the wound well. You may need to flush it for a few days and reapply your ointment.
Any other wounds you can find? I would offer him some fluids - see if he will drink. Plain water or electrolytes/poultry vitamins can be added to the water for a day or two. Once he is drinking, then offer food.

I’m not sure how he got the wound. There weren’t many feathers about rather than the normal bit that there usually are, so I wouldn’t think it was a predator. All of the other birds seemed fine, assuming that if there was a fight one would be hurt or bloody from his wound. It also seems like a fairly clean cut, with the skin revealing the muscle beneath. Blood has already started to cot. I haven’t seen him drink yet, but he doesn’t seemed distressed. I have both food and water available to him. I figure that if in the morning he won’t drink I’ll help him with one of the little squeezing things that you can squirt water and stuff with. Thanks!

Sounds like a plan :)
I would watch to make sure the other don't peck at the wound, you may have to put him behind a barrier, just depends on behavior.
Look around and see if there is something sharp inside the housing he could have ripped it on - nail, staple, etc.
Most of the time when other post photos of a wound like that and from my own experience with chickens - damage has been done by another bird unfortunately. You may or may not see blood on the offender.

Hope you find him perky in the morning.

Sounds like a plan :)
I would watch to make sure the other don't peck at the wound, you may have to put him behind a barrier, just depends on behavior.
Look around and see if there is something sharp inside the housing he could have ripped it on - nail, staple, etc.
Most of the time when other post photos of a wound like that and from my own experience with chickens - damage has been done by another bird unfortunately. You may or may not see blood on the offender.

Hope you find him perky in the morning.
Hope so, too. Thanks for the help!

He drank some water this morning!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom