Pullets eating feathers?

Artichoke Lover

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2020
Southeast US
I’ve got 4 approximately 16 week old pullets 3 of which have been eating the molted feathers of the rest of the flock. They have plenty of water and high protein food in two different feeding areas. They aren’t picking feathers from themselves or others just eating the already molted ones. Why are they doing this? Should I be concerned?

I’ve got 4 approximately 16 week old pullets 3 of which have been eating the molted feathers of the rest of the flock. They have plenty of water and high protein food in two different feeding areas. They aren’t picking feathers from themselves or others just eating the already molted ones. Why are they doing this? Should I be concerned?

This happens sometimes. *Generally* if they aren't picking feathers off each other it's OK.

What percentage protein is the feed?

When I see chickens eating feathers that are just floating around I consider that chickens being chickens. They are omnivores and will eat practically anything that doesn't eat them first. They are not out there with advanced chemistry sets analyzing everything they see for nutritional content. They see something and say, "Oh, I can eat that" and do. By eating a lot of different things the ones that mostly feed themselves by foraging wind up with a fairly balanced diet. The ones not allowed to forage for their food have the same instincts.

Back
Top Bottom