Pullet recovering from massive lice, mite, and red bug infestation. Help please

I dont know how I missed it as I pick her up every day, but she was so heavily infested that almost every feather around her neck and face is covered in white eggs.
I killed them all, ivermec'ed her and seven dusted her as we were out of DE and since its so hot I did not want to bathe her.
She has slowed down and is very thin. Not fluffed as if in pain, but her head has been vibrating/shivering like she is cold? she is hunched a little, but that I think is simply from how bad she had become.
The odd part was she did not loose any feathers?
I thought it was Cocci...god I am an idiot.
I am about to go out to the store to buy some yogurt and cottage cheese, I have baby vitamins and probiotics, but I need to know what else to give her or do for her to make sure she makes it.
Any advice? Has anyone else had a bird go down from mites before?

I've lost a hen to mites
sad.png
We dusted the pen and coop, but somehow she got them and by the time I realised she had it, she was already beyond help. What I'd suggest is boost your hen with the vitamins etc. Give her plain yoghurt, high protein treats like mealworms or just scrambled eggs. Let her eat as much as she wants and encourage her to eat by offering treats.
Good luck!

I've lost a hen to mites
sad.png
We dusted the pen and coop, but somehow she got them and by the time I realized she had it, she was already beyond help. What I'd suggest is boost your hen with the vitamins etc. Give her plain yoghurt, high protein treats like mealworms or just scrambled eggs. Let her eat as much as she wants and encourage her to eat by offering treats.
Good luck!
Shes still eating thankfully, shes just so weak. I know where I can get meal worms thank you for the suggestion!
I really hope she makes it, shes not my pullet shes my moms :(

As long as you got rid of the mites and keeps her eating and drinking she should recover soonish.
fl.gif
I found water soluble vitamins and good food can be a life saver! If you can get a vitamin + mineral supplement for poultry that would be great. Try and get some grit into her as well to help digest the food. You can sprinkle it over her food.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Make sure you retreat with the dust every week until completely gone to get the hatching eggs.

She may have some coccidiosis as it does occur in hens with immunocompromise, but I don't know if she has a problem with it or not- you'd have to take a fecal sample to a vet to tell (also they could check for worms but there can be false negatives).

Coconut oil will dissolve the nits once the bugs are dead, I have read, over time.

If she is very thin she might have worms too. I reread your post- you gave ivermectin I see.

Last edited:
Make sure you retreat with the dust every week until completely gone to get the hatching eggs.

She may have some coccidiosis as it does occur in hens with immunocompromise, but I don't know if she has a problem with it or not- you'd have to take a fecal sample to a vet to tell (also they could check for worms but there can be false negatives).

Coconut oil will dissolve the nits once the bugs are dead, I have read, over time.

If she is very thin she might have worms too. I reread your post- you gave ivermectin I see.
I de-wormed her earlier in case it was worms, then she was put onto Corid but it did nothing for her. The bugs are I think the main reason why she is going down hill. I just hope I cought her in time.

How is she doing now?
I am afraid I waited to long to start force feeding her...
I listened to one of my friends who said to wait and let her eat on her own...I should have listened to my gut a week ago and started to force feed her then.
She was alive long enough this morning for my mother to say goodbye, and passed away sometime around 8-8:30...
Its revenge time, every bug I see will die...

Back
Top Bottom