Lisa_123

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
So, having some problems.
3 week old baby chick. Leg looks externally rotated, unable to weight bear. Leg out to the side when standing, unable to keep it under her. Wasn't sure what issue was initially thought sprain or possible fracture of leg, so splinted it to keep straight done this for 10 days - reassessed and no better at all. Then tried elastic band around legs for two days no better. She was eating and drinking well initially but I've noticed recently she isn't gaining weight like the other chicks - not sure if this is because she is in pain or because she can't get to feeder as much as the others.

Anybody had a similar experience, any advice welcome, thanks

So sorry to hear. Here is the thread for my baby Bernadette who got lame in her left leg at three weeks.
It has a happy ending. I did a lot of splinting and also a lot (I mean a lot) of Vitamin B - particularly B2.
She is more-or-less fine now - I sometimes see her use her leg a bit strangely but mainly it is normal now.
I don't know if this is anything like what your chick has going on but I thought I would share.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-week-old-chick-with-a-bad-leg-any-advice-please.1519956/

Thanks! I'll see if I can attach a photo and further advice is all very welcome. He didn't have any issues with leg when born, no splayed leg initially, this developed almost 2 weeks old. Any thoughts?? Appears swollen at knee joint ? Hip as well not sure

Attachments

• PXL_20220430_211725938.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220430_211725938.MP.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
So sorry to hear. Here is the thread for my baby Bernadette who got lame in her left leg at three weeks.
It has a happy ending. I did a lot of splinting and also a lot (I mean a lot) of Vitamin B - particularly B2.
She is more-or-less fine now - I sometimes see her use her leg a bit strangely but mainly it is normal now.
I don't know if this is anything like what your chick has going on but I thought I would share.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-week-old-chick-with-a-bad-leg-any-advice-please.1519956/
May I ask what type of splinting did you do? Thanks

May I ask what type of splinting did you do? Thanks
First off I splinted her toes straight because they were curled up and she was scraping the tops of her toes in her efforts to move around.
That worked but then her whole foot was straight with no angle between her toes and her shank so I needed a piece of plastic with a 90 degree angle. I mocked up some stuff by cutting up bits of packaging and then I found these guys and used one of their splints.
https://branscums3dprinting.com/
They are also on Etsy.
I have to say it worked brilliantly but required nerves of steel because initially she couldn’t use her leg at all and just sat there crying with her toes pointing to the sky. But after a few hours she got the hang of using it to stand and walk. And after a few days she could walk without it.
We still don’t know if her issue was injury or vitamin deficiency or both. I essentially treated both with the splint and the vitamin B.
I did take her to a vet so I had a professional view that there was no break and no slipped tendon.

First off I splinted her toes straight because they were curled up and she was scraping the tops of her toes in her efforts to move around.
That worked but then her whole foot was straight with no angle between her toes and her shank so I needed a piece of plastic with a 90 degree angle. I mocked up some stuff by cutting up bits of packaging and then I found these guys and used one of their splints.
https://branscums3dprinting.com/
They are also on Etsy.
I have to say it worked brilliantly but required nerves of steel because initially she couldn’t use her leg at all and just sat there crying with her toes pointing to the sky. But after a few hours she got the hang of using it to stand and walk. And after a few days she could walk without it.
We still don’t know if her issue was injury or vitamin deficiency or both. I essentially treated both with the splint and the vitamin B.
I did take her to a vet so I had a professional view that there was no break and no slipped tendon.
Thanks, well done with your splinting

Sounds like it might be splay leg. Here’s an article on how to help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-we-correct-splayed-legs-on-new-chicks.72873/
Thanks for that. I tried splinting with a elastic band, when I done that the lower part of the leg was still rotating outwards, he had difficulty walking with it. Find it difficult to splint leg in good position, worried as chick is growing and don't want it to grow in wrong position. I have a feeling it's the hip that has dislocated, not sure what I can do about that??

Leg looks externally rotated, unable to weight bear. Leg out to the side when standing, unable to keep it under her.
More photos may be helpful. From the front and back like she would be standing.

A leg that is rotated may be due to a leg bone deformity. If this is the cause, then sadly I don't think it can be corrected. This is not like splay leg and can't be treated as such.

Back
Top Bottom