Prep for keet arrival - questions

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Arriving today. Warming brooder now. I have Save a Chic electrolytes and probiotics. Instructions say mix both together in a gal of water for new, stressed, or once a month maintenance- in cool water and provide plain water as well, for 3 days. Just checking that it's ok to follow those directions bc I don't recall anyone suggesting they'd done that before.
Chlorhexadine Solution- is it ok to dab their bellies as a preventative when they get here or wait until I have a reason to?
I know, deep breath. Just want to start off right.
As for warm water vs cool water, I can make it cool and then warm it like we do baby bottles (not in microwave). Just wish it was stable enough to not toss leftovers every day.

Arriving today. Warming brooder now. I have Save a Chic electrolytes and probiotics. Instructions say mix both together in a gal of water for new, stressed, or once a month maintenance- in cool water and provide plain water as well, for 3 days. Just checking that it's ok to follow those directions bc I don't recall anyone suggesting they'd done that before.
Chlorhexadine Solution- is it ok to dab their bellies as a preventative when they get here or wait until I have a reason to?
As for warm water vs cool water, I can make it cool and then warm it like we do baby bottles (not in microwave). Just wish it was stable enough to not toss leftovers every day.
I put the water in the brooder and let it warm up with the rest of the brooder, bedding, etc. You do not want to give new keets, chicks, poults, etc. cold water.

Good luck.

I do mix the electrolytes plus probiotic. I mix in a clean gallon milk jug and then store in the fridge for multiple days. I pour some out in a cup an hour before I need it to get it to room temp. After the first day, water without electrolytes should also be available. I dip new keets beaks in water or the electrolytes so they know where to find water.

For navels, maybe just check as you transfer each keet and only treat any that look wet? At this point, all navels should look dry and healed.

Best of luck!!!!🍀

I do mix the electrolytes plus probiotic. I mix in a clean gallon milk jug and then store in the fridge for multiple days. I pour some out in a cup an hour before I need it to get it to room temp. After the first day, water without electrolytes should also be available. I dip new keets beaks in water or the electrolytes so they know where to find water.

For navels, maybe just check as you transfer each keet and only treat any that look wet? At this point, all navels should look dry and healed.

Best of luck!!!!🍀
I read in another thread that it would stay good that way as well, & even had a company link posted that was supposed to agree, but the link was 405'd.
You two have rubbed off on me, as I do infact have small saucers warming up in there, @R2elk - and I put the 2 packets together in a bowl, mixed it up, then divided it into 4 snack containers so I can make it fresh daily in quarts.

20220603_190203.jpg Have some pasty butts ands lost 2 right off the bat, but their bellies look good, they're eating and drinking, and I scrambled some egg for them. :fl

Violet Keet3
Bronze Keet3
Pewter Keet2
Pastel Keet2
Blonde Keet2
Slate Keet2
Coral Blue Keet2
Buff Keet2
Chocolate Keet2

View attachment 3135305 Have some pasty butts ands lost 2 right off the bat, but their bellies look good, they're eating and drinking, and I scrambled some egg for them. :fl

Violet Keet3
Bronze Keet3
Pewter Keet2
Pastel Keet2
Blonde Keet2
Slate Keet2
Coral Blue Keet2
Buff Keet2
Chocolate Keet2
Awwww, poor exhausted little ones! :love I’m so glad that they arrived! I’m sorry that they didn’t arrive in the best of shape. Best of luck with the rest.:fl:fl

View attachment 3135305 Have some pasty butts ands lost 2 right off the bat, but their bellies look good, they're eating and drinking, and I scrambled some egg for them. :fl

Violet Keet3
Bronze Keet3
Pewter Keet2
Pastel Keet2
Blonde Keet2
Slate Keet2
Coral Blue Keet2
Buff Keet2
Chocolate Keet2
Sydney how are the babies doing???

Sydney how are the babies doing???
I lost 2 right off the bat after picking them up. Over the course of the weekend, 8 more. Removing the pasty butt was followed by wet stools, yellow stains. Did electrolytes,probiotics,scrambled eggs, vit b, pulled all that back & switched to corid, stools firmed up but losses cont, so started both corid & sav a chic mix yesterday. Everyone perked up and eating,drinking, singing, but still had 2 dead this a.m. who were fine when I went to sleep.
Belly buttons are either healed or black dry buttons, washing their bums in chlorhexadine solution water, blow drying, coconut oil to prevent sticking but down yellow- stained. Eating and drinking, running about flapping their wings and singing today. Stools this a.m. are moist but formed and have uric cap in place. So E coli, my fault, but atleast this time I know it's my fault and why. I know that's not what corid is for, but read a study where they found that amprollium had weakened the resistance of some bacteria. So even though they aren't getting antibiotics, maybe weakened gives probiotics a chance to build good bacteria back. 🤷‍♀️ That's all I've got to explain stools firming up.

I lost 2 right off the bat after picking them up. Over the course of the weekend, 8 more. Removing the pasty butt was followed by wet stools, yellow stains. Did electrolytes,probiotics,scrambled eggs, vit b, pulled all that back & switched to corid, stools firmed up but losses cont, so started both corid & sav a chic mix yesterday. Everyone perked up and eating,drinking, singing, but still had 2 dead this a.m. who were fine when I went to sleep.
Belly buttons are either healed or black dry buttons, washing their bums in chlorhexadine solution water, blow drying, coconut oil to prevent sticking but down yellow- stained. Eating and drinking, running about flapping their wings and singing today. Stools this a.m. are moist but formed and have uric cap in place. So E coli, my fault, but atleast this time I know it's my fault and why. I know that's not what corid is for, but read a study where they found that amprollium had weakened the resistance of some bacteria. So even though they aren't getting antibiotics, maybe weakened gives probiotics a chance to build good bacteria back. 🤷‍♀️ That's all I've got to explain stools firming up.
Oh wow - so very difficult! How many are left? They must have had a rough trip and been too stressed by shipping, since you immediately started losing them. What’s the refund/replacement policy? Hoping that the worst is behind you and the rest thrive! :fl

Oh wow - so very difficult! How many are left? They must have had a rough trip and been too stressed by shipping, since you immediately started losing them. What’s the refund/replacement policy? Hoping that the worst is behind you and the rest thrive! :fl
I am down to 9 now, this video shows the last one. It was fine, started wobbling as in video. It then began gulping or panting, then died.
Not asking them for refund, isn't their fault. Postal service was sending emails to me tracking their travel. On Thursday a.m. there were 3 when I got up - arrived at facility, out for delivery, arrival by 8 pm, out for delivery, arriving 4:45 pm.
At 4:27 pm I received email from the farm bc post had called them saying they had tried to call me, I hadn't picked up birds.
No one called- I can't drive yet, I was here all day. Post office closed at 4:30 pm.
I collected them first thing Friday a.m., gave save a chic before leaving parking lot. Post lectured me about picking up birds, I asked why they hadnt called me and sent the emails, he said they never deliver live animals. I've received two shipments that say otherwise, and I would have been there had they not indicated they were already out for delivery.
And then came the parent aspect of life, so I've been being toted back and forth to tend to birds and be at hospital.
I knew there'd be loss, didn't expect this much. @2Butterflies ,
was your delivery delayed last year?

Back
Top Bottom