Preheating incubator

Yep I know the settings and all, that make sense thanks!
I know my setting to. But sometimes they cant be off. Which is why i always start 24 to 48 hours before eggs are put in. And have a extra hydrometer/thermometer in.

Hence my question, does it effect the eggs : )

Not in the least. I run mine enough to know how it will operate so I put room temperature eggs in and let it warm up. That recommendation is so you have confidence in how it is operating. It has nothing to do with the hatchability of the eggs as long as it is operating OK. It is more for your confidence, especially someone just starting out.

When I put room temperature eggs under a broody hen she may not even be on the nest. When she gets back she warms them up.

Another question: are eggs transported 1-2km via car considered shipped eggs?
It depends on how you transport them. The problem with "shipped" eggs is that you don't know how badly they may have been shaken during transport or if they have been subject to extreme high or low temperatures. For example, if you leave the eggs in your vehicle in the sun without the AC running they may cook.

One time I brought 30 eggs home on some rough back country roads with them sitting on the floorboard in the back. Those were shaken so badly that only 10 hatched. If I had set them on the seat where they were better cushioned I'd have probably had a great hatch.

Not in the least. I run mine enough to know how it will operate so I put room temperature eggs in and let it warm up. That recommendation is so you have confidence in how it is operating. It has nothing to do with the hatchability of the eggs as long as it is operating OK. It is more for your confidence, especially someone just starting out.

When I put room temperature eggs under a broody hen she may not even be on the nest. When she gets back she warms them up.

It depends on how you transport them. The problem with "shipped" eggs is that you don't know how badly they may have been shaken during transport or if they have been subject to extreme high or low temperatures. For example, if you leave the eggs in your vehicle in the sun without the AC running they may cook.

One time I brought 30 eggs home on some rough back country roads with them sitting on the floorboard in the back. Those were shaken so badly that only 10 hatched. If I had set them on the seat where they were better cushioned I'd have probably had a great hatch.
Thank you for all the info, regarding the transported eggs it was roughly a 10 minutes drive pretty sure eggs didn't get shakes or anything at all also no direct sunlight, I set them in the incubator last night so fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom