Poultry dust. How to apply.

billmac

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
The Subject Line is pretty much my question. I'm certain my hens have mites. I've purchased some poultry dust. It says to use about an ounce per bird.

What is the best way to apply it? I fear just shaking it on from the can will be too much.

Also, I assume this is a two person job, since I'll need to turn the hen over to get the vent area covered. Correct?

Thanks

Oh, I'd like to hear how everyone does it too. I've tried the old sock-duster method, didn't really work so I direct powdered. Yes, a two person job - one to catch the chicken and help hold it in my lap while I dusted.

I've read here about the shake-and-bake method: put dust in large bag, add chicken except for head and kinda shake the dust around that way.

Please, what is the best method for good coverage - on the bird, not me and the surrounding area.

I'm right here with you too. I am certian my girls have them also. I have just become aware of feather loss, and seeing skin in some of them. They are not seeming to be attacking each other, as in bad cuts or bleeding, but just seem to enjoy eating each others feathers. I have not found any mites or lice on them, but will treat them just in case. I have also thought it was possibly a drop in their protein, and I cut way back on the treats. I have been giving them straight BOSS in the morning to help with their
possible boredom. But the feather loss continues. They are fairly young birds, around 7 months. They started laying this Spring, and not all are firing yet.

I am wondering how to dose them too. I had also heard of the garbage bag method. I think I would scare my girls out of a week worth of eggs !!

D.gif

I gloved up, put on a dust mask and recruited a helper..... I used a nylon filled with dust, I held the bird and my helper powdered it's behind...
lol.png
.. and under the wings with a poof or two to the belly and back of possible, ruffling their feathers to get the dust to penetrate to skin level... My birds were seriously hating me after that though..
hide.gif
.. I did find that the rubber gloves with the "Grippy" palms and fingers really helped me keep a hold on the feisty birds. It does work, I saw improved feather condition and better laying shortly thereafter. Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom