Post egg binding advice

booksandcranies

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
Hello, chicken first timer here. I helped my 9 month old bantam hen (Easter egger I believe) with a bound egg today. She was able to pass it with assistance from me and many, many epsom salt baths and tums.

I’m unsure of what to do now that she has laid it. She isn’t eating very much- I’ve made sure she’s not egg bound with another one (idk if that can happen though) but I imagine she’s just tired and sore- just not feeling well, plus it is getting late here.

She has been softly clucking at me and her stance is more normal than it was but her tail feathers are still pointed down and I’m just really worried about her. she is able to lay down comfortably, she’s just nesting in a blanket right now. She is still resting in my bathroom in her dog kennel.

Also she might still be a little traumatized, the entire reason I discovered she was egg bound was because I found her half submerged in my small pond tub and I honestly thought she was dead. She was just laying in it, wings spread out and it looked like her head was dipped in the water. I was shocked and my spouse acted quickly to check if she was alive and thankfully she was. When I was drying her off I discovered how bad off her vent area looked and realized she was egg bound. This began our journey to unclog her, the poor thing.

Hello, chicken first timer here. I helped my 9 month old bantam hen (Easter egger I believe) with a bound egg today. She was able to pass it with assistance from me and many, many epsom salt baths and tums.

I’m unsure of what to do now that she has laid it. She isn’t eating very much- I’ve made sure she’s not egg bound with another one (idk if that can happen though) but I imagine she’s just tired and sore- just not feeling well, plus it is getting late here.

She has been softly clucking at me and her stance is more normal than it was but her tail feathers are still pointed down and I’m just really worried about her. she is able to lay down comfortably, she’s just nesting in a blanket right now. She is still resting in my bathroom in her dog kennel.

Also she might still be a little traumatized, the entire reason I discovered she was egg bound was because I found her half submerged in my small pond tub and I honestly thought she was dead. She was just laying in it, wings spread out and it looked like her head was dipped in the water. I was shocked and my spouse acted quickly to check if she was alive and thankfully she was. When I was drying her off I discovered how bad off her vent area looked and realized she was egg bound. This began our journey to unclog her, the poor thing.
I'd give her some electrolytes, or just sugar or honey water as she's probably weak from the whole thing. You could also try making her food into a mash, much like oatmeal consistency. Chickens usually go wild over that. Some scrambled eggs is another thing they usually can't refuse.

Tums is okay and will work for a bound egg, but our human version of calcium pills is better, around 330 mg, should you feel you need to give it to her again.

If she's not up walking around very soon, I'd suspect she's got another. Giving her the calcium regardless won't hurt so I'd do that again.

You could be right though that she's just plumb worn out from how you found her until now, and just needs to rest.

I hope she's back to normal very soon!

I'd give her some electrolytes, or just sugar or honey water as she's probably weak from the whole thing. You could also try making her food into a mash, much like oatmeal consistency. Chickens usually go wild over that. Some scrambled eggs is another thing they usually can't refuse.

Tums is okay and will work for a bound egg, but our human version of calcium pills is better, around 330 mg, should you feel you need to give it to her again.

If she's not up walking around very soon, I'd suspect she's got another. Giving her the calcium regardless won't hurt so I'd do that again.

You could be right though that she's just plumb worn out from how you found her until now, and just needs to rest.

I hope she's back to normal very soon!
Thank you so much for the advice!!!! I’ll be keeping a very close eye on her and if there’s another egg I at least know what I need to do now! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom