Possible lymphoid leucosis neoplastic tumor + Update: Not injury. Confirmed to be a tumor

@NanaK yes, I've thought of that. I treated him with Cephalexin and I soaked his leg in activated Oxine. I wasn't sure if it was just hopeful thinking but the lesion did seem to be getting better. Then it stalled all this winter until flaring up now.

It may be worth repeating that treatment.

@NanaK yes, I've thought of that. I treated him with Cephalexin and I soaked his leg in activated Oxine. I wasn't sure if it was just hopeful thinking but the lesion did seem to be getting better. Then it stalled all this winter until flaring up now.

It may be worth repeating that treatment.

Just a thought...
Is the black spot like a scab?

If it is staph, in humans they would do several debridement's over a few days to remove the black scab. It would need to heal from the inside out. If not the infection can seal itself in the skin to only come back later. It could also spread to bone.

If you can keep the dark spot moist with antibiotic ointment for a day or two, it would be softer and possibly easier to tell if it can be removed. I know how hard it is to keep a bandage on some chickens. I can use vet wrap on some with no problems. I also have had 1 that no matter what he'd get the bandage off in no time.

Although I'm a firm believer in modern medicine, I will sometimes grab the peroxide and betadine and good old soap (Dawn dish soap) and water.
Peroxide is a debriding agent. No antibiotic resistance. It also helps with soreness in wounds on me anyway.

As long as they are eating, drinking, pooping and show a bit of fight, I tend to keep treating and watching. When I see they are no longer interested in chickeny things then euthanize.

Now I realize you have way more experience with chickens than I do. I still hope this helps in some way.

Experience or no, I can always use another opinion and knowledge. We never stop learning. I appreciate this input.

I have left the scab since it's always been flat with no swelling or apparent pus under it. I also thought I would use Betadine with hot compresses for a few days. I think I'll start him on Cephalexin, too.

I will debride. He will fuss, but the scab will come off. It's my mission for today, now that I cleaned my chimney.

Toots got the full treatment yesterday. Hot compresses and debriding and bandaging. He felt pretty sorry for himself with the securely wrapped leg, and pouted the rest of the day.

This morning, I found him lying in his poop in his run, probably depressed and thinking of suicide. Just kidding about the last one - doubtful chickens can feel suicidal. But he was obviously feeling sorry for himself.

So, I picked him up and put him outside. He quickly discovered the HENS WERE OUT!!!! Then the miracle occurred. He could walk again! And crow! And strut! And boss the hens! Here he is in his miraculous recovery.
60B0A7B8-8480-4BAF-8B22-6B847BBDA40A.jpeg
4B954968-0496-45FB-B50F-F6908E0802FF.jpeg

I'm updating this thread to convey my conclusion that I was correct in my original assumption that this lesion is in fact a cancer, not a wound.

It has grown to double the original size nearly one year later. There have been no recent injuries to this leg to account for the increase in size.

While it's apparent that Tootsie has discomfort, he still doesn't have a problem walking. So for the time being, the cancer seems to be limited to the epidermal layer and has not gone into the tendons and bone. Tootsie still has a good quality of life but when he stops eating and loses interest in doing chicken stuff, I will end it.
D397C13F-CDBA-481D-BE9A-A19A9D9C6D0F.jpeg

Azygous, it is so sad to see this. I am truly sorry nothing has helped Toots. You have gone above and beyond what a lot of people would do to give him every possible chance to heal. I hope he continues to be able to do most chickeny things for some time to come. When it's his time to go, I hope it's quick and pain free. ❤️

I have a 8+ yr old hen that's slowing down now. She's not sick or injured but her age is working on her. She eats, drinks and comes for treats just fine. But I can tell her time if coming. I pick her up often to check her weight and look her over. She is a very gentle soul.
I have several older girls and it just pains me to see them go down. It doesn't matter how many birds I have, each has their place in my heart.

Please keep us updated on how Toots is doing. A photo once in a while would be nice. He's a very handsome boy.

I'm updating this thread to convey my conclusion that I was correct in my original assumption that this lesion is in fact a cancer, not a wound.

It has grown to double the original size nearly one year later. There have been no recent injuries to this leg to account for the increase in size.

While it's apparent that Tootsie has discomfort, he still doesn't have a problem walking. So for the time being, the cancer seems to be limited to the epidermal layer and has not gone into the tendons and bone. Tootsie still has a good quality of life but when he stops eating and loses interest in doing chicken stuff, I will end it.View attachment 3529954
@azygous I have a rooster with identical lesions on both legs, the exact same spot. Do you recommend trying any type of pain management? My plan is to continue monitoring appetite and behavior and watching the lesions until his appetite or behavior changes. Thank you so much. I'm glad I found this picture.

These lesions are painful, make no mistake. I've used 2xdaily one quarter tablet ibuprofen with good luck to control pain. I also have used cortisone cream on the lesion for pain relief. Both of those control tissue inflammation as an added benefit.

Currently my roo is on no pain relief and doing fine. I gauge how much pain he is having by how much he involves himself in or withdraws from day to day activities. Besides occasionally trying to "shake off" the pain, he hasn't altered his daily routine.

Back
Top Bottom