Pheasant experts!!!! is this bird breeder quality?

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
This is my dominant cock-bird I want to know if he looks good for breeding, he is not largest of birds, but certainly not the smallest. He has a nice long tail
005-11.jpg

007-12.jpg

012-11.jpg

009-10.jpg

Nice looking boy there, he will fatten up you'll see. mine always look small starting off, but boy do they pack weight and muscle on as they become very mature birds..
They sure are ugly ducklings when starting out the males, but once mature you get all the beauty and color to see...

Charlie

A very nice looking Ringneck pheasant. Keep him for breeding. Watch out next spring when breeding season comes along. He will get aggressive, and may hurt the hens.

thanks everyone.
smile.png

I have looked at other birds in my flock but the wattles on them were nothing compared to his. Then the ones that had nice wattles had they wood have large heads or something else that wasn't right.

wait till breeding season and you will really see those wattles and tassels(tufts) on the top sides of the head..

Here you can see the tassels on the side of his head, Wizzard is going on i think 2-1/2 this year, waddles are cool as well
chochens008.jpg

chochens007.jpg

Charlie

Well ticks, your guy will pack some weight on by next year..They really get better with age..

Charlie

here is a 7 year old cock bird a freind of mine gave me two years ago, but i had to return him as my one male didnt not like him and he would have killed the nice old boy.
He is still alive today and is now going on 9 years old..

at 7 years old..
38e7f05a.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks will he gain it by breeding season do you think? Mine is so little compared to yours he is kind of cute. That is a beaustiful melanistic cross.

Wow do I miss pheasants! I'd say he's a keeper, for sure.

Btw, Charlie do you sell started pheasants or just eggs or what? I'm considering them for spring. March-Aprilish.

Back
Top Bottom