Pekin 6 yo partial prolapse w/dry shell membrane attached

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
it looked like an inch or a little more then an inch of pink vent prolapse sticking out with what looks like a white deflated balloon attached to it. I brought her inside and put her in the warm water bathtub. I had to go out and lock up my other ducks. when I came back membrane had fallen off and the prolapse went back in on its own. I proceeded to give her one ML of calcium gluconate and took pics of all that is left sticking out looks like a little bit of the attached shell membrane. So I made the water warmer and put her back in . what a good product to use on it to help that finish falling off? I was thinking Epson salt soak, but I didn’t want her to drink any while I wasn’t watching, but maybe I could add it now, I’m going to keep her inside overnight in A nice dog crate. can I use something like antibiotic ointment on it if it still hasn’t fallen off after another half hour or so of Epson salt soak? and should i try to massage it and gently remove it without tugging?

Attachments

• 0B34B6E3-94EA-4E87-92FD-674298283522.jpeg
    0B34B6E3-94EA-4E87-92FD-674298283522.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 5D1F5CF2-C258-49C4-A2CB-29868BA36AC8.jpeg
    5D1F5CF2-C258-49C4-A2CB-29868BA36AC8.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 3
  • A2154503-129D-4093-A9F5-1381DF85C945.jpeg
    A2154503-129D-4093-A9F5-1381DF85C945.jpeg
    445 KB · Views: 4
How is she doing?

Giving the Calcium is a good idea.

You can use ointment or oil (like coconut oil or mineral oil) or raw honey to help keep that membrane a bit moist.

Is she pushing like she's trying to expel the membrane or an egg at all? If so, then after applying your ointment/oil, time the pushing and see if you can gently pull the membrane to see if it will come on out.

Epsom salts soak may help with some inflammation or just a warm water soak if you are worried she may drink the water. Drinking a little probably won't hurt her, it will just make for loose poop.

How is she doing?

Giving the Calcium is a good idea.

You can use ointment or oil (like coconut oil or mineral oil) or raw honey to help keep that membrane a bit moist.

Is she pushing like she's trying to expel the membrane or an egg at all? If so, then after applying your ointment/oil, time the pushing and see if you can gently pull the membrane to see if it will come on out.

Epsom salts soak may help with some inflammation or just a warm water soak if you are worried she may drink the water. Drinking a little probably won't hurt her, it will just make for loose poop.
thanks this morning she looks fine , but i’m keeping her in my hospital room and going to give her more calcium gluconate today, and perhaps another warm soak. here she is ( Chubbs) she asked me to post a nicer picture of her not just her bottom side 😂
BC608C72-AD37-4F40-A545-3B40CFEEE48C.jpeg

Pretty Girl!

Were you able to get the membrane out?
I'm glad she's feeling better.
i think what was left of it still attached got pulled back up inside her and am hoping the next egg she lays will force it out. I gave a second dose of calcium gluconate and have been keeping her inside for monitoring. With a friend duck of course. 😊 I checked her vent a couple times yesterday to see if I needed to use any ointment, but it was already moist., might be a concern? what we have been calling a membrane was actually the shell of a soft shell egg.

i think what was left of it still attached got pulled back up inside her and am hoping the next egg she lays will force it out. I gave a second dose of calcium gluconate and have been keeping her inside for monitoring. With a friend duck of course. 😊 I checked her vent a couple times yesterday to see if I needed to use any ointment, but it was already moist., might be a concern? what we have been calling a membrane was actually the shell of a soft shell egg.
Right, it's a membrane/soft shell.

I was hoping you'd be able to remove it instead of it going back inside. Hopefully it will get pushed out with another egg. I'd still give the extra calcium for a few days.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom