Peanut Butter for Chickens?

DixieDame67

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Jonesbourgh Tennessee
I was thinking about making a suet based treat for my chickens, i wanted to use peanut butter as the base with sunflower seeds, dried fruit , bread etc etc , my question is , Can chickens eat peanut butter?

I am guessing the peanut part is ok... but the fact that they'dd be licking their beaks all day to get it off seems a bit funny. Who out there knows the real answer to this? I think regular suet is made from fats which is oilier and "goes down" easier isn't it?

Chickens can have peanut butter.

A straight glob of peanut butter could be hard to choke down. Mixed with something else, like a fat, is good. It makes it less sticky. Or mixed with something to make a dough is good. That's what I've done for the wild birds. I had read recommendations not to use straight peanut butter for wild birds. I don't know if the recommendations have changed. So much does! I've used suet. I've also used shortening, before trans-fatty acids got a bad name!
big_smile.png

Things like cornmeal, seeds, nuts and dried fruits are good. I'm sure they'd love the bread, too.

my girls LOVEEEEEEEEEE peanut butter sandwhiches LOL! I just make one up and then break it in smaller pieces and put it in their special treats bowl and they go insane for it!
big_smile.png

I've also made them a homemade bird flock using:

wheat bread
2 eggs
bird seed (good quality one - millet, sunflowers, cracked corn, etc)
scratch
molassass (just a little bit)
peanut butter
oatmeal *dry*
cream of wheat *dry*
peanuts (halved)
water (small amount)

then I mix it all together in a big bowl and bake it in the oven on a sheet pan on about 200 for about an hour. It comes out looking *and smelling* like granola - so much so that my DH and kids almost ate it
big_smile.png

I don't know how helpful this is but I have parrots. I give them PB all the time but I mix it with a little wheat germ oil (good for the skin and feathers). But it takes alot of the sticky factor out of it.
Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom