Peacock lethargic not feeling well but no outward signs of sickness

Fudgie

Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
North Central Missouri boonies
I have a peacock that is about 6 months old. I am not sure if it is a hen or roo. Anyway, it just sort of sits near the heat lamp and does not move about much. It does eat and drink but just kind of slow. We have it in the house now in a nice box with the heatlamp overhead but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. DD brought it in the house and I will have to double check for symptoms when I get home.

How is the peacock now? We have had one for 2 years now. He has never acted sickly. Poor bird! Hope he/she is better!
(maybe offering some oatmeal for some extra nutrition would not hurt)

Have you wormed him? I have several peacocks and spoke to many breeders about how to care for them. They have to be wormed regularly.

Edited to say: Deerman is a BYC member who raises peafowl. He is very helpful. You might want to send him a PM and ask which wormer to use. It's important to do so quickly because they can die rather quickly once they've gone lethargic and are huddled up/ruffled up.

Last edited:
Peacock poo stinks normally and can range in consistancy pending on what they ate. If he is acting off more than likely he needs worming. I use safeguard goat wormer at 1cc per 10lbs given in the beak. Peacocks are normally very health and don't get sick often. Did you have him near chickens, sometimes black head disease can be a problem with them too. Best wishes

My peachicks were raised with and share a coop with my chickens and they also go in the duck run and duck house daily. I've had no problems since they were very young and I lost two to worms. They are now six months old and freerange with everyone else.

My first guess is he has worms. If hes eating and drinking fine. its very common but you need to treat him fast.... and the rest of the flock too.

I use Levasole. Ivermectin is good for most parasites... but not everything. Use the levasole now... then in 2 weeks use ivermectin....

Retreat every 6 months.

Here is some information we have on the United Peafowl assoc. chat forum.........

Peafowl Wormers Dosage/Duration

Wormer Trade name capillaria cecal roundworm tapeworm
Albendazole 11.36% Valbazen yes yes yes yes 0.40cc/lb, oral drench down the throat

Fenbendazole 100mg/mL Safe-Guard or Panacur 10% yes yes yes yes 1) 3cc/gal water for 3 days. Can repeat in 10 days.
2) 1cc (bird over 1 year), drench down throat for 3 days
3) 1/2cc (bird between 3 mos. and 1 year) oral drench
down throat for 3 days.

Ivermectin Ivomec for cattle no yes yes yes 1) 3cc/gal drinking water for 24 hours
2) 1/2cc (bird over 6 mos.) given as subcutaneous shot
or as drench down throat.
3) 2/10 cc (bird under 6 mos.) given as subcutaneous
shot or as a drench down throat.

Levasole, 52 gm packet Levasole, 52 gm packet yes yes yes no Mix I packet with 1 gallon water.
Mix 1 teaspoon of above solution with 1 gallon drinking
water. Treat for 3-4 days.

Tramisol, 13 gm packet sheep drench, 13 gm packet yes yes yes yes Mix one packet with one quart water; mix two
Tablespoons of this solution per gallon drinking

Levasole for hogs, 500cc plastic bottle yes yes yes yes 1) Fill the bottle of Levasole with water; shake well.
Mix 1 teaspoon of this solution per gallon drinking
2) Mix 1/4 teaspoon of the powder from the bottle
per gallon of drinking water. Treat for 3-4 days.
* Note: Fecal sample is required for accurate diagnosis.

All we had was the Safe-Guard or ivermectin at home so I did the 1/2 cc in the mouth and will do that for 3 days total. He/she eats well and is drinking just not very active yet.

I have chickens and peafowl and a lot of other fowl together on same property with no problems..KOW. I just suggest Black head because it can happen although rare, but worms are much more likely. Hope the worming solves your mystery
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom