Peachick Show 2023

How do they not lay eggs?
It is a genetic deformity that causes Charcoal hens to not lay eggs. The cocks are fertile and when bred to a hen that is split Charcoal they can reproduce so you must use a split to Charcoal hen and a Charcoal cock to make more. The Charcoal cock is a very beautiful bird but they also are prone to going blind and dying within a two to four lifespan. There are a few exceptions that will live a little longer but they are rare. It is for this reason most reputable breeders no longer continue breeding Charcoal, the few that do raise them sell to taxidermists for mounting when they achieve the first full train.

Charcoal hens are special indeed, they do not lay eggs. The cock will be very pretty but beware the life span is usually very short.
I bought a charcoal WE male earlier this year. I had him for a month before I found him dead on the roost. I bought him as a “4 year old” but he was actually 8-9 years old. Oh well. Hard lesson to learn. LOL

Hopefully this charcoal I hatched will be healthier since both his parents are splits.

856D9E28-FAEE-468B-8FDE-57F3B134750A.jpeg

B23F1A03-7705-4435-B8D7-94282BBE2434.jpeg

B0EB3695-6B39-4AC0-9F8F-DE4C849E91A3.jpeg

Beautiful birds! Are those higher percentage Spalding or is their color about the red gene you mentioned earlier?
It is a combination of both in this case. Here is a recent pic of a yearling hen and a group pic of the parents. The cockbird I am using now is a higher percentage than the moms and remember that Spaldings do not breed true, I keep the best for future breeders to enhance the program.
IMG_9041.JPG
IMG_9044.JPG

Back
Top Bottom