One eye Cloudy, then red "blood clot" type substance in eye. Keeps that eye closed.

Roozeekuh

Chirping
Aug 9, 2014
We have a 5 month old buff orpington that is in a coop with 4 other hens (2 RIR, and 2 other buffs).

I noticed earlier this week that the buff in question was standing around with her eyes closed more often, almost like she was trying to sleep. Then today I went out in the AM and noticed her left eye was closed, and when she opened it, the eye was cloudy.

Then tonight my wife told me another buff was chasing that buff around. I went out to investigate. She was inside the coop by herself in a nesting box. To my knowledge, she has not laid any eggs yet. I was able to snap some pics of her good eye, and the bad eye. The bad eye will be with the eye lid closed, and then some close ups as I'm trying to pry it open to get a pic of the injured/diseased eye.

I would love some input from you guys. I am a brand new chicken farmer and have never dealt with this before.

Do I need to be watchful for a disease? Is it an injury from the others? What can be done?

Here's the normal healthy right eye:

Here's the left eye with lid closed:

Here is the left eye open with dark red tissue? clot?

Last edited:
First, let me say, Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif
I believe that your Buff Orpington has an injury to her eye. This is just my opinion, but I think it's other eye wouldn't be so clear and it's comb and wattles wouldn't be such a bright pink if it were due to illness. I can see no discharge from either the eye or nostrils. I would just keep close watch on her and separate her from the others to prevent any further injury, or spread of disease, if that turns out to be the case. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for the welcome and the information Rocky. As of this morning she looks the same. I have her separate from the rest of the flock. I am working on an isolation cage today to aid in that separation, as she's only inside the coop while the others are outside.

If it is an injury, how severe will the end result be? Can chickens get away with having only one good eye? Will she be excluded from the rest of the flock?

I have an Easter Egger that is blind in one eye, and she does just fine. I think she injured it somehow when she was a chick but I didn't really notice it until she was grown. She is a little more skittish than the rest, but otherwise normal. Her blind eye is a milky blue color. The rest of my chickens treat her no different, but she can be easily approached from her blind side, which makes it a little bit more dangerous for her to free range. Your girls' eye may heal and be normal, but if she does loose sight in that eye she will probably do just fine.
wink.png

New problem now...it's been a week since isolation began. Buff's eye is healing nicely...just a little cloudy/black spot in center of eye. She keeps it open most of the time now...except when we begin to integrate her back into the flock. She keeps that eye closed when around the other hens. Now, when we let them out to range, the others will approach her and attack with their beaks. She is being isolated from the flock. No sickness, only the left eye injury. What's the reason for this, and will they ever let her back into the flock? I want to get her out of her isolation pen and back with the main flock. Thoughts?

That is the main problem with separation for more than a couple of days--sometimes they will treat one like she is new, and pick on her. If you have time to remain out with them for a long period, they may leave her alone after some initial pecking to make sure she knows she is low in the pecking order. The other way to do it is to leave with them in a dog crate in the coop and outside for a day or two, then put her out with them. Have you been treating her eye with any Neosporin or Terramycin ointment in case she has an eye infection?

New problem now...it's been a week since isolation began. Buff's eye is healing nicely...just a little cloudy/black spot in center of eye. She keeps it open most of the time now...except when we begin to integrate her back into the flock. She keeps that eye closed when around the other hens. Now, when we let them out to range, the others will approach her and attack with their beaks. She is being isolated from the flock. No sickness, only the left eye injury. What's the reason for this, and will they ever let her back into the flock? I want to get her out of her isolation pen and back with the main flock. Thoughts?
I came home to my buff orphington Barb standing in a corner with blood clots pouring out of both eyes. There were clots all around her where she shook her head and they shook off of her eye. I immediately panicked and contacted just answering, an internet vet service and was told to try Tylan an injectable antibiotic. The poor thing was miserable all night after the injection and still oozing blood clots out of the inner corner of her eyes. I gently removed them with a q-tip to keep the clots from drying and sealing her eyes shut. After just one dose of the Valtran last night her eyes stopped bleeding and she's walking around almost like normal. I kept her isolated and will do 2 more injections, one today and one tomorrow. I was mortified to say the least. I put her in her favorite basket and slept with her in the livingroom to keep an eye on her throughout the night since the vet told me that I should prepare to lose her. I was so sad. I've had her for 4 years and she's the sweetest most loving chicken. She's obviously my pet and not just a farm animal.

Back
Top Bottom