One duck hatched earlier than others…

Bluecarmom

Hatching
Apr 28, 2024
So I have five runner duck eggs in my incubator. One of the ducks hatched yesterday. He is still in the incubator as I did not want to open the incubator during lockdown and wanted to give the little guy enough time to completely dry off. I have read that they should be kept in the incubator for 24 hours before moving to the brooder. I am closing in on 24 hours soon. Two of the other eggs have externally pipped. I can see the babies trying to make their way out. I’m afraid to open the incubator so I don’t shrink wrap them but I am also worried that if I leave the already hatched duckling in any longer, he will die. What does a person do in this situation? Can the already hatched duckling stay in the incubator longer than 24 hours. I can’t find anything online.

I know some people leave the ducklings in longer and they are fine. But if you take the duckling out really quickly the others shouldn’t shrink wrap. You can mist a bit of water in or put a wet paper towel in the incubator when you lift the lid to keep the humidity up. I took lots of ducklings out before the others hatched

Back
Top Bottom