Odd egg consistency

KIMBUCK2

Hatching
Jun 14, 2020
Person County NC
Hello, I am a newbie to this group. I am in search of information about some oddities we've seen in a few eggs.

From the outside, the egg looks fine, there is no smell or discoloration. They were maybe 2 weeks old, and we don't wash them, and keep them in a basket in the kitchen with a very consistent rotation process.

What we saw in several eggs from different chicks in the same week was alarming to us. The yolk didn't release from the egg shell when cracked open, and the white at times seemed whiter than clear.

We've gotten in the habit now of cracking the egg in a small bowl prior to mixing with anything else to ensure we are not using these eggs. I am asking for all your experiences to help solve this issue. The ONLY thing I can think of that was different is perhaps they ate the jalapeno seeds that were in the compost (as they love the compost "buffet") while they were free-ranging. Could the impact the egg like this? What else could be the problem. I hate the idea of sharing our eggs if there is any issue at all.

Thanks for your insights
Kimbuck2

Hello, I am a newbie to this group. I am in search of information about some oddities we've seen in a few eggs.

From the outside, the egg looks fine, there is no smell or discoloration. They were maybe 2 weeks old, and we don't wash them, and keep them in a basket in the kitchen with a very consistent rotation process.

What we saw in several eggs from different chicks in the same week was alarming to us. The yolk didn't release from the egg shell when cracked open, and the white at times seemed whiter than clear.

We've gotten in the habit now of cracking the egg in a small bowl prior to mixing with anything else to ensure we are not using these eggs. I am asking for all your experiences to help solve this issue. The ONLY thing I can think of that was different is perhaps they ate the jalapeno seeds that were in the compost (as they love the compost "buffet") while they were free-ranging. Could the impact the egg like this? What else could be the problem. I hate the idea of sharing our eggs if there is any issue at all.

Thanks for your insights
Kimbuck2

Hi Kimbuck, welcome to BYC!
is it possible to post pictures of this eggs? And the yolk?

Is it the same with fresher eggs.....like if opened the same day they were laid?
How old are these birds?
Are all eggs like this or just from certain birds(if you can tell the difference)?
What all and how exactly are you feeding, other than the compost?

Welcome to BYC! @KIMBUCK2
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592311079191.png

Here are images from the inside of the shell. We're in NC. They are fed organic feed from Tractor Supply, they get meal worms and free range bugs, grasses, etc. No recent change in diet at all

Attachments

• Resized_20200612_141126(1).jpeg
    Resized_20200612_141126(1).jpeg
    802.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Resized_20200612_141121(1).jpeg
    Resized_20200612_141121(1).jpeg
    783.3 KB · Views: 9
I rotate the eggs in a consistent manner, and there were several eggs, so had to have been from different chicks, couldn't tell you which ones. They were maybe a week old. No apparent difference on the outside shell. Haven't seen this for at least a week, but there was one week where we saw this in multiple eggs.

The hens are 2 and 3 years old, so not old, and I can't think of anything that was different in that time frame

Back
Top Bottom