Not an emergency, curious. Pullet eggs shrinking!

alibabba

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Southeast PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hey, I have done some reading and just looking for some confirmation or similar experience.

So...

Silver Laced Wyandotte (Wilma in Avatar) Is a nice big girl, I don't plan on eating her, but when I pick her up I would love her in my roaster! She seems perfectly fit and well, but is all about food. She's #1, large and in charge.

About 10 months, been laying regularly since Feb. Started with a schedule of 6 out of 7 days and has stuck to that. Eggs are pretty porous, but got slightly larger to about medium - never to the larger size the EE's lay.

But now they are a small and have gotten slightly pointier.

They free range, were eating organic layer pellets, with oyster shell and grit. I just changed to flock raiser a couple days ago because of 13 wk pullets and the rooster not needing the extra calcium. Could it really be that simple???

I give treats very sparingly. Every couple days a small handful of scratch or three if the kids want to give treats, but that's spread around 9-11 chickens.

They have been eating low hanging blueberries, can't imagine that would do anything. Have not wormed, all have good weight and plenty of energy to come running.

Getting ready to molt? change in food? too fat, just her?

What do you all think?

She could be over-weight or she could just be getting use to the new food. However, it could just be her genetics, like you said.

My chickens sometimes lay shelless eggs, double-yolk eggs, small eggs, large eggs, thin-shelled eggs and thick-shelled eggs. It kind of just depends on that day.

She's a very pretty girl.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom