Nov 28, 2017
UK
Hi all. I am trying to understand how exactly a rooster crows but I’m running into contradictions.

… an intake of breath fills the air sac above the crop, this breath is used to crow, the more breath, the louder the crow?

I have no idea if the above is correct, but I do not believe this is either?

“That's not how they work at all. Roosters stretch their necks before/as they crow. The collar simply limits the stretch, thus reducing the pressure available from their neck muscles to expell their reserve air sacks. It is not choking them for air.”

I’m so confused at this point.

TIA for your time!!

Sounds like the second one is a quote from a no crow collar description? Roosters generally take a breath and raise their heads to crow. Not all raise them higher. The more air in the lungs the longer the crow generally. This is all my own observations.

Sounds like the second one is a quote from a no crow collar description? Roosters generally take a breath and raise their heads to crow. Not all raise them higher. The more air in the lungs the longer the crow generally. This is all my own observations.
Yeah, they’re the only places I can find with anything on how a roosters crows. I don’t believe it’s right though, because aren’t collars suppose to limit the air intake for crowing? I don’t see what any of it’s got to do with stretching?

Yeah, they’re the only places I can find with anything on how a roosters crows. I don’t believe it’s right though, because aren’t collars suppose to limit the air intake for crowing? I don’t see what any of it’s got to do with stretching?
I believe the collars work by falling further down the neck when a rooster starts crows and it cuts off his airway. It would explain why they don't work on some roosters as not all stretch their heads upwards when crowing.

Back
Top Bottom