new to quail, sand question

Hi Loretta,

I'm not 100% sure what's behind the sand bath. lol..

I do know it's just their way of grooming. The sand helps remove any bugs/mites they may have. And probably gets their oil moving too for better plumage.

I do know they have a blast and it's so fun to watch them.

Many of us use a very fine sand. Sold at places like Home Depot as play sand. A 40 # bag is only a few dollars, it's clean and lasts quite a long time.

Just give them a nice somewhat shallow container. I use a plastic shoe box. Put an inch or so in it , and they will dive in!

Here's the first box I used.
They pecked a hole in the bottom and let all the water out of the "Tub" ,
gig.gif
so I switched to a plastic one.

100_5589-1.jpg

You can also sprinkle some crushed oyster shell in it for the grit and calcium they need. They will have fun digging for it.
And some DE if you have it. That will help with pests and also offers health benifits.

What Kind of quail do you have?

Plain ole DRY dirt/sand from your yard is fine, alot cheaper than play yard sand. I have a 24" x 18 " pan in each pen and it fun to watch them when I refill the pan they all (125) try to get in at the same time.
thumbsup.gif

My Bob Whites are on the ground & my farm is like living at the beach so their happy & always scratching & bathing in the sand. My coturnixs are on wire I provide them with a big black rubber dog bowl that I purchased from TSC. I fill it with sand & add to their pen. They bathe in there & lay eggs in the bowl as well.

Hi Loretta,

I'm not 100% sure what's behind the sand bath. lol..

I do know it's just their way of grooming. The sand helps remove any bugs/mites they may have. And probably gets their oil moving too for better plumage.

I do know they have a blast and it's so fun to watch them.

Many of us use a very fine sand. Sold at places like Home Depot as play sand. A 40 # bag is only a few dollars, it's clean and lasts quite a long time.

Just give them a nice somewhat shallow container. I use a plastic shoe box. Put an inch or so in it , and they will dive in!
Hi, I know it’s from years ago, and hopefully you will answer, I just got quails (cotournix) can I get them the “quikrete play sand “?

Please don't! Get them plain old construction sand or dirt from your garden. Play sand tends to clump and can cause crop issues.
What if I don’t have like dirt from garden and stuff , or if I did, wouldn’t they get sick ? Or it’s fine ?

Back
Top Bottom