New to Peafowl not by choice but chosen

Marmack

Songster
7 Years
Dec 18, 2016
Bullock, NC
We talked about peafowl but never thought of owning one until around a month ago when we were out finishing feeding the horses, we looked down the barn drive and there was a large bird. At first we thought it was a wild turkey taking a walk about but as we walked up the drive it was a peacock! None of our neighbors have peacocks and we had not idea where it had come from. We thought it would wonder on its way home. After dinner I went back out to lock up the chickens and guineas. The peacock was at the top of the stallions pasture. As the sun started setting the peacock made it's way to the chicken coop flying up to the roof and then to one of the tall pines when I was too inquisitive.
In the morning he greeted us and has made his home with us ever since. Initially he would hang with the guineas but they were always leaving him. He would get so upset and call for them. He still comes in to the chicken run at night. It is so sweet to see him talk to the guinea hen. It is as if he is whispering sweet nothings to her.
He has given up trying to hang out with the guineas except when they come home to eat or for the night. For the most part we see him with the chickens.
What we do know is he is a young male but we are not sure of his age. It is great getting to know him but he is very wary of humans and will go the other way always avoiding us. He now has a name and that is 'Professor' because he is so elegant. He is a green peacock but depending on the light his neck and head feathers will be a beautiful aqua to royal blue and at times purple but he has no coloring on his back besides brown. There are so many beautiful pictures of peacocks on the many of the threads that I cannot wait for him to mature.
We live in North Carolina and will be shopping for hens as soon as we can build another coop for the Professor and his soon to be clan.
Any help in raising peafowl would be accepted especially links to threads for raising etc. DSC_0127.JPG DSC_0159.JPG DSC_0154.JPG

Thank you, Mika is beautiful. I like your nesting boxes, that helped solve the nesting issue. I have seen some great ideas for peacock runs and coops.
I can see the patterning on Professors feathers now. We were thinking male because there are nubs on the legs like a rooster and we have seen him fanning his tail.
How many calls do a peacock's have? I have heard a honk, clicking, and a beautiful whistle followed by a trill that I want for my ringtone.

LOL. Hens have spurs too and also fan like peacocks. I think you are in denial, your bird is a hen. Read through some of the threads in the Stickies Index, there is a lot of good basic information there that will help you a lot. BTW, the trill you are hearing is a Green and Spaulding trait, Blues don't make that sound.

Thank you @KsKingBee for responding and setting me straight. We believe that an animal/bird needs to have at least one other if it's own kind. Any ideas about colors which will breed well with our Professor.
I have been spending time in Stickies and a few of the other threads about medications to have on hand, worming, etc.

Thank you @KsKingBee for responding and setting me straight. We believe that an animal/bird needs to have at least one other if it's own kind. Any ideas about colors which will breed well with our Professor.
I have been spending time in Stickies and a few of the other threads about medications to have on hand, worming, etc.
I am happy to hear that you are educating yourself, the Stickies are a great reference.
This coming two-year-old Spaulding cock is Dark Pied and would be a good choice for your hen. Visit Spring Creek Peafowl on FB and look at our pics and videos, there is also a pinned post with a list of yearlings for sale. PM me there and I will explain the shipping process.
IMG_4272.JPG

Update on Professor, she left us for the summer, joining the Great Blue Herons who nest for the summer at my neighbors. We found out she would come home once a day to eat, check the place out and leave, running across the pastures and the neighbors to her new home until the herons’ breeding seasons was over. She has returned home now that the herons have left. She is checking out the new guineas who hatched this year. They are always following the guinea hen around.
She has recently received a great surprise, we have had the oppurtunity of purchasing two breeding pairs. They were purchased from Spring Creek Peafowl and delivered by Haulin Paws. It is impossible to show the true beauty in most pictures. I absolutely love these pairs, one blue and one purple. Cannot wait for spring and peachicks.

Professor has been visiting the purples and blues since their arrival 11 days ago. And I made a newbie mistake yesterday by allowing Professor to enter the run.
I was working on the runs, the tops were on and I was getting ready to put up the divider, the blues had been out for several hours and I had let the purples out an hour or two earlier. When I opened the gate to enter the purple pen, fabric in arms, and held the gate open a little longer than needed. Professor walked on in, everything seemed to be going along ok when the peacock decided Professor was not welcomed. I was able to separate them. Professor got a little beat up.
This morning, it was still dark, we were going out to feed the horses. Professor started to honk and trill. After a couple times, Manu (the blue peacock) started answering her. I was able to move Professor over to the blue run. I left the blues in their coop for the day. My plan it to leave them like this for the next week, starting all over.
How do I get the blues and Professor together safely? I thought I would turn Coral (the blue hen) our with her for a bit to let them become accustomed to each other. When the pairs were shipped the males and females were separated. Coral developed an attachment for Sangria. I was thinking she may develop a similar relationship with PRofessor. If this works when do I let the peacock out?

Back
Top Bottom