New Member!

JamieSinn

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2024
Hello!

I've been lurking for a while - but decided to register to get some input on some project ideas I have!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
New! We bought a house that has a large-ish? chicken coop and run!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
0 - looking for advice on how many we should get with the chicken coop we have - see below!
It has 12 nesting boxes inside (6 per side)

(3) What breeds do you have?
None - but looking at some ISA Babcock from a local supplier.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
It's a pet that gives back!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Industrial Automation! I'm going to be trying to automate and add a ton of sensors to the coop.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I work in the tech industry - so this is definitely a bit of a new path!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Lots of googling - and lots of informative threads on the questions I had!

Coop photo - more here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/existing-coop-feedback-ideas.1621411/

1714347731448.png

Last edited:
Hi Jamie, welcome to BYC. Your setup looks nice.
Do you know how many square feet are in your coop (minus the nest boxes) and run? Ideally you'll want 4 sq foot per chicken in the coop and 10 to 15 sq ft per chicken in the run.

Also, I would cover the top of the run. A solid roof would be best, so that their food and water will be protected from rain and wild bird droppings. My runs are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth top to bottom so that I never have to close my coop doors.

Hi Jamie, welcome to BYC. Your setup looks nice.
Do you know how many square feet are in your coop (minus the nest boxes) and run? Ideally you'll want 4 sq foot per chicken in the coop and 10 to 15 sq ft per chicken in the run.

Also, I would cover the top of the run. A solid roof would be best, so that their food and water will be protected from rain and wild bird droppings. My runs are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth top to bottom so that I never have to close my coop doors.
The run is roughly 12x24, and the inside of the coop is probably 4x8 plus the nest boxes. I posted some photos here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/existing-coop-feedback-ideas.1621411/

Is there a material that would handle snow load well? In Canada we're quite familiar with 2+ft of snow being dropped here.

I was debating properly making a peaked truss and then covering in transparent plastic roofing.

Back
Top Bottom