New-ish Newby

Ychicks

In the Brooder
May 14, 2024
Hello All,

Excited to finally and formally join this Chicken Community!

Here are my answers to the new member questions and a pictures of our flock.

Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
  • My husband and I are avid nature people. We love to garden, grow our own food and we both grew up with chickens. During covid, we decided to incubate some eggs as a science experiment with out 3 kids and we hatched 4 chicks out of 7 eggs. We were supposed to return the baby chicks to the farm (as part of the program) but when the time came, we couldn’t do it and that is how we started our flock in 2021. Today, the ladies are thriving and because we live in an urban area near a trail, lots of families come by specifically to look at and pet the chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
  • We had the original 4 we hatched until Easter of this year, when we added 2- day-day old baby chicks from Tractor supply, bringing our total to 6. The new additions should be about 7-8 weeks old now.

(3) What breeds do you have?
  • Of the original 4, I think 2 buffs, a sex link and not sure of the 3rd, but I could be totally wrong on all of them. Of the new chicks, we asked for 1 buff and one EE. – with the hope that they are both pullets and not roos. (Sorry Roos, no offence but we’re not allowed to have them).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
  • Just having them around wandering the yard. The kids love watching and playing with them. They are also a great conversation starter and community builder.- Lots of parent bring their kids by to look at and pet the chickens. We also get lots of parents with special needs kids who like to bring their kids – apparently, the chickens have a calming effect on kids. Who knew! Also, chickens, are pretty awesome and low-stakes pets to have. Only require feeding and watering.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
  • Gardening, reading, cooking and getting into mini life adventures with my 3 awesome kiddos.

(6) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
  • I found BYC through my very good friend Dr. Google about 3 years ago and have come back again and again to read the forums, stories and get advice on raising backyard chickens. I was planning on posting a question about our new additions and thought I had joined the site when I first discovered it, but realized I never did so, now is a good as time as any.

Attachments

• Hens.jpg
    Hens.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Hnes 2024.jpg
    Hnes 2024.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Easter and Melly.jpg
    Easter and Melly.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Easter and Melly.jpg
    Easter and Melly.jpg