NEW EMERGENCY! Wound care for my Black sex link

jluttrtally

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2015
Georgetown texas
Either a fox or owl or hawk got attacked my free range flock and i lost 3. I found my speckles walking slow so I picked her up and found she had puncture wounds on her back. This happened yesterday
Black sex link
1 year old

I need to make sure I am treating her correctly! I flushed her wounds out yesterday with a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and then tried to coat the wounds with triple antibiotic ointment

I separated her from the flock. gave her feed and water which she ate and drank

today I took her inside to repeat the treatment when I found another wound higher up that I didn't see yesterday.

the first wound looks a little oozy and in really worried about infection.

I have now moved her inside since it may rain and freeze tonight.

Any help advise is MUCH appreciated! I want her to survive this, but if she is going to die a slow death of infection I want to cull her so she doesn't suffer.

Thank you in advance!

0.jpg

Sorry for the quality of photos my 6 year old was taking them!

Last edited:
I would stop the peroxide, and either get some Vetericyn from your feed store, or use betadine, chlorhexidene, or plain saline for wound care. Plain neosporin is good to keep using twice a day. If there are puncture wounds keeping them open for a day or so, so they will heal from the inside out is good. Most chickens heal up well from wounds, but just look for any signs of infection or abscess, such as a bad odor, swelling or redness at the site. I really hope she makes it. Just feed her a little extra protein with her usual feed.

Once it is cleaned out, I would resist continued flushing. Let it start to heal. If you start to see infection or abscess then you can look to flush again. Neosporin is a great idea. Give her a few days to fix herself. And keep us posted. We will keep her in our prayers.

Thank you, she hasn't moved from her spot i put her in last night. I made an egg for her this morning and she ate it. Doesn't look like she has drank any water so I moved the water closer to her.

One way to get more water into her would be to mix a small bowl of water and chicken feed. I usually make it soupy and add a tsp of plain yogurt or egg. Watermelon, cantalope, and tomatoes sometimes are good for getting more fluids into them.

I'm going to try to soak her in benadyn and cut the feathers away from the wound I think that's why I've gotten infected because they're touching the wound. Will attempt to do a bandage even though people say not to do that I just feel like I need to keep it clean right now it's not doing that

Back
Top Bottom