Need advice safely transporting my girls to our new home

Y
You're going to Knoxville Tennessee?
Hopefully waht ever transport you use will be able to tell you about any import restrictions there are are, but that's another somethign to research.
I don't think there's anything you can give them to make a minimum of 2 flights - from Hawaii to Cali, and then to Tennessee - safe. It's just too many hours in the air and transfer time. And I don't believe there's any such thing as a non-stop from Hawaii to Tennessee, as a former flight attendant I never heard of the routes working like that. And that's just a minimum of flights, the possibility of more legs, of delays or misrouting is also a concern.
If I had to do it, I'd arrange for downtime in Cali for 2-3 days at least, maybe a week, before moving on to the cross country flight(s).
Driving them would be better because it allows you to feed / water / monitor / and control their temperature.

Temperature is a big killer in shipping live animals. Adult chickens do poorly in the heat if left on trucks / tarmacs / cargo holds / etc.
So for cage concerns, open and airy is better than anything solid like plastic with little vent holes.
When we brought chickens from Louisiana back to Florida in our car, we put them in the trunk but with the backseats folded down and the AC pointing their way. That way any noise or smell was a little further away from us but they were still comfortable. We stopped every 4 hours or so and refilled their spilled dishes and used a kitty litter scoop to remove waste, lol. They all ate and drank well and by the time we made it home and released them they acted like nothing had really happened besides a new environment.

Have you considered not leaving Hawaii? If you have any choice in the matter?

I think no matter how they are transported, it is stressful. But I am grateful you are driving. I hope this thread helped you too. I am now researching what extra nutrients to give them to boost their immune system and keep their stress level down. And ensuring their new home is completely set up for them when they get there. 42 chickens is a whole lot more than my brood. Lol. I am sending you the best, and please let me know how your trip goes…
Thank you. More chickens, yes, but at least not flying. I can't imagine the logistics headache and i wish you all the best! That's dedication!

I don't think there's anything you can give them to make a minimum of 2 flights - from Hawaii to Cali, and then to Tennessee - safe. It's just too many hours in the air and transfer time. And I don't believe there's any such thing as a non-stop from Hawaii to Tennessee, as a former flight attendant I never heard of the routes working like that. And that's just a minimum of flights, the possibility of more legs, of delays or misrouting is also a concern.
If I had to do it, I'd arrange for downtime in Cali for 2-3 days at least, maybe a week, before moving on to the cross country flight(s).
Driving them would be better because it allows you to feed / water / monitor / and control their temperature.

Temperature is a big killer in shipping live animals. Adult chickens do poorly in the heat if left on trucks / tarmacs / cargo holds / etc.
So for cage concerns, open and airy is better than anything solid like plastic with little vent holes.
When we brought chickens from Louisiana back to Florida in our car, we put them in the trunk but with the backseats folded down and the AC pointing their way. That way any noise or smell was a little further away from us but they were still comfortable. We stopped every 4 hours or so and refilled their spilled dishes and used a kitty litter scoop to remove waste, lol. They all ate and drank well and by the time we made it home and released them they acted like nothing had really happened besides a new environment.

Have you considered not leaving Hawaii? If you have any choice in the matter?
Wow! I am so grateful for your input! If I could get some advice based on your flight experience…..What airport would you fly into in California, or is there a flight from Honolulu to somewhere on the mainland you would suggest would be the quickest way for us to retrieve them from the airport and then drive?

Unfortunately, not only are things rapidly changing on maui making it difficult for us to stay, but my husband has a traumatic brain injury and I have health issues as well, and the care we need, including family support, is not on Maui.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give your input

Back
Top Bottom