My hen just tore off her spur (yes spur) almost completely off and is bleeding really bad

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
I feel bad, I was chasing her around and it got caught on something. Its torn off maybe 3/4 of it and it is bleeding a lot. It is on the base of where it just starts to grow. It is definitely going to come off eventually but I pulled on it hoping it would come off and its still on there pretty good. I don't know if I should try to take it off somehow so it can just get it over with and I can control the bleeding. AGHR its pretty nasty. Any advice? GROSS

Your best path would be to have a helper with you holding the bird and take and cut the balance of it off. You can use cornstarch (heck, even flour will do) and try to get it to stop. Once you do I would gently clean it with Betadine and spray some Blu-Kote over that wound. Best of luck to you, and keep us updated!
frow.gif

Ok thanks, she lost quite a lot of blood between then and when I took the rest off and put corn starch on it….and is now pretty sleepy/miserable in a laundry basket covered up. Anything I can give her to feel better or is there something you can do for a chicken that has lost a ton of blood?

Ok thanks, she lost quite a lot of blood between then and when I took the rest off and put corn starch on it….and is now pretty sleepy/miserable in a laundry basket covered up. Anything I can give her to feel better or is there something you can do for a chicken that has lost a ton of blood?
Did you pour Betadine on it? How about spraying Blu-Kote? You might give her a little plain yogurt and/or hard-boiled egg crushed up..that'll give her a boost. Make sure she is drinking. You might put some ProBiotics in her water to help also. Wishing you all the best and keep us updated!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom