My duck got stuck in their pond/bath tub!!

Oct 13, 2023
My old khaki camble got stuck in their pond and got water logged, I found her stitting at the bottom of the pond with her head out of the water, she was shivering and freezing, I picked her up and rushed her inside my little sister grabbed a towel and I wrapped her in it and put her under my jacket, my mum got the cat carrier put straw and a heat pad in and we left her in one of our spare rooms (she is afraid of us so didn't want to stress her) then we moved her into a plastic toy box with a lid, (the lid had holes in it), we put the straw and another heat pad in with her, this morning she was standing in the box, (me, my sister and my dad went out so I am not sure what my mum has done if she has put her back out with her friends or not)
Any Idea why this happened, is their anything i should do and is it going to happen again??

Update: just got home and mum had put her back with her friends and she is really happy

Attachments

• 20231014_114831.jpg
    20231014_114831.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
My old khaki camble got stuck in their pond and got water logged, I found her stitting at the bottom of the pond with her head out of the water, she was shivering and freezing, I picked her up and rushed her inside my little sister grabbed a towel and I wrapped her in it and put her under my jacket, my mum got the cat carrier put straw and a heat pad in and we left her in one of our spare rooms (she is afraid of us so didn't want to stress her) then we moved her into a plastic toy box with a lid, (the lid had holes in it), we put the straw and another heat pad in with her, this morning she was standing in the box, (me, my sister and my dad went out so I am not sure what my mum has done if she has put her back out with her friends or not)
Any Idea why this happened, is their anything i should do and is it going to happen again??
As they age they don't seem to get around as well as when they were younger just as people do. My older Rouen is the last to get out of their pen to free range in a small grassy area. She is almost 7 now and it is hard for her to climb the step they climb to get out. I can see why your older duck got in and then could not get back out. She probably got cold and weaker the longer she was in and did not have the strength to get back out. Either that or if you have a male when they mate them they will sometimes go as far as to drown them in water. I would say it is possible for it to happen again. I have no ponds for mine but just large buckets of water, several of them to drink out of and the do just fine. I hope yours stays safe and good luck with this situation.

As they age they don't seem to get around as well as when they were younger just as people do. My older Rouen is the last to get out of their pen to free range in a small grassy area. She is almost 7 now and it is hard for her to climb the step they climb to get out. I can see why your older duck got in and then could not get back out. She probably got cold and weaker the longer she was in and did not have the strength to get back out. Either that or if you have a male when they mate them they will sometimes go as far as to drown them in water. I would say it is possible for it to happen again. I have no ponds for mine but just large buckets of water, several of them to drink out of and the do just fine. I hope yours stays safe and good luck with this situation.
Thank you
I have two male call ducks but first they are more than half my khakis size and second they have not even started trying on their girl

Thank you
I have two male call ducks but first they are more than half my khakis size and second they have not even started trying on their girl
I had 4 little Call ducks and they all piled on top of one of my larger female ducks so two of the got rehomed. I am glad that yours are not of mating age but to their little brains, size does not matter it seems, lol. Welcome to BYC, I love this site and the people that take the time to try to help others.

Welcome to BYC. I'm glad your duck is better. I have an old chicken who is mostly blind. I have to keep her confined to a smaller area during the day for her safety, and so that she can find food and water. You may need to make some special provisions for duck to keep her safe, especially with the two males coming of age. Good luck to you and your girl.

Welcome to BYC. I'm glad your duck is better. I have an old chicken who is mostly blind. I have to keep her confined to a smaller area during the day for her safety, and so that she can find food and water. You may need to make some special provisions for duck to keep her safe, especially with the two males coming of age. Good luck to you and your girl.
Thank you, all 4 of my khakis are about 7 years old so who knows how long they will be with us

Back
Top Bottom