my chickens have stopped sleeping in their roost

PigeonEnjoyer

Chirping
Mar 8, 2024
i have 3 chickens that all have suddenly stopped sleeping in their roost, they were fine before and 2 of them lay eggs and still use the nest boxes inside but stopped sleeping on the perches. they've started sleeping on the ground, not on the ground of their roost but the ground on their run! is there anything that suddenly made them stop wanting to sleep in their roost? i've also seen them walk around and forage at 3 am!? i cleaned and changed the bedding in the roost because i thought they didn't want to because it was dirty but tonight i checked on them and they were huddled in a group sleeping on dirt. the branches are fine and like i said earlier they were sleeping in the roost on the branches before. (note my cornish cross doesn't sleep on any perch but she used to sleep below my other 2 chickens)

any advice appreciated!

i don't think so, they've never had any parasite issue before. i'll check the perches tomorrow
I went for years without any parasite problems, then had an incident of mites, which I caught, too. (Fun!) Have never had another.

Depending on the (possible) critter, you may need to go out at night with a flashlight to catch them moving. Given your hens' behavior, they may be especially active then.

i have 3 chickens that all have suddenly stopped sleeping in their roost, they were fine before and 2 of them lay eggs and still use the nest boxes inside but stopped sleeping on the perches. they've started sleeping on the ground, not on the ground of their roost but the ground on their run!
Post some pics of your coop and run.
Do you live somewhere hot?

How to check them over real well for mites and/or lice:

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Look fast, they will scatter quickly once the feathers are parted and the light hits them.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

i've also seen them walk around and forage at 3 am!?
How can this happen in the dark? Maybe turn off some lights?

The question about possible mites is a good one.

Did something frighten them when they were in the coop? Some possible predator or weird noise? They may feel safer not in the coop. You may have to train them to sleep in the coop. Several years back I had a group of six-week-old chicks in a separate shelter since the coop was so crowded. I was late getting home that evening and an owl went into that shelter and grabbed a chick to eat. The other chicks integrated themselves into that crowded main coop that night.

They sometimes relocate themselves and you don't have a clue why they did it. It does not mean something bad or scary really happened. For whatever reason they decide to move. Good luck on retraining them or whatever the problem is.

Our chickens get up at night, change places, preen, sometimes eat or drink a little, then go right back to sleep. I've never seen a flock that slept through the night and never moved although my experience is limited.

Ours don't use the roosts at night. They use them during the day to preen, nap with a friend, or just watch the world go by. At night they sleep in a big cuddle puddle all nestled down in the pine shavings. I guess that's where they feel safe and comfortable.

Has there been a change in your weather that might affect where they choose to sleep?

Back
Top Bottom