My chicken is making a strange noise over and over

sarey1127

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
My 1 year old black sex-link chicken is making a crying noise over and over today. This is not typical behavior for her. She seems to be eating and drinking and otherwise behaving normally except for this noise. I am attaching a video so you can see for yourself. My first thought was "is something stuck in her throat?'

Wow, nice video! I'm thinking she's either got something in her nostril or throat- that high pitched "pip" sound sounds like a chicken sneeze to me, like she's trying to clear it. Would she let you rub her throat? Or could you give her a piece of bread in hopes of pushing it the rest of the way down?

Thanks for replying. I held her and tried to feel around her throat but she doesn't really like being held. I will go try again and get my 5 year old to help me. She is used to being carried around by him. I will try the bread idea too. Thanks.

Did you ever figure out what this is? My rooster just started making a strange sound similar to this yesterday! Otherwise he seems healthy and happy.

Ok, she's making the same noise as the chicken in the video. When I opened the coop this morning she wasn't making this noise. I got her an 14 others from a friend an the silkie is one of her favs so I'd rather it not die an have to break the news, I'd feel bad.

If there is a blockage how would I remove it? I'm new at this. My parents had chickens when I was little due to an allergy I had to store bought eggs. I asked my dad if he had ever heard the noise from any of his hens but he said no.

If she isn't making the noise anymore then she probably worked it out herself or she was just congested. If there is a blockage you can massage the area to work it down.

Back
Top Bottom