Maybe Wry Neck Maybe An Injury? Help!

1beauty2beasts

Hatching
May 11, 2024
Hi everyone! I incubated eggs and my chicks were born April 28th. My Silky may have been injured while being put back in the portable playpen I have been using to keep them inside or has Wry Neck. I don’t know… I have given Selenium & Vitamin E Gel which it took voluntarily for only a few days I also bought Vitamins for the water. It’s been 8 days and still walking backwards and sleeping with its head turned upside down.
Also, its head is warm to touch and also the feet feel very warm.
Is it a fever? Is it sick and needs antibiotics?
I have added a photo of it standing and lying dawn.
It’s almost like it passes out once its head turns upside down.
I’m lost. I love the chicks and this one is sleeping in a box on my bed away from the other 5 chickens until it is better.
Please help…

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 3
Vitamins in the water is not adequate. Vitamin E 400 IU along with a little B complex for thiamine is what I would give the chick. A little raw egg (stirred and mixed well) is good enough for selenium. Treat for at least 2 weeks. Causes of wry neck in chicks can be head injury and vitamin E or thiamine deficiency. It is important to mix up a small amount of chick starter with water and a bit of egg, and feed the chick 4 or more times a day. If it gets stronger it can eat and drink on its own.

Sorry, I don’t think you read my post correctly. I have been giving it Selenium & Vitamin E Gel as well as Vitamins in the water…
I originally started with 400 IU capsules but read the gel with Selenium would be better so I bought it. It ate it well at first but stopped eating it after 3 days. I have been putting it on the Chick Starter to eat but it doesn’t seem interested in it.

Back
Top Bottom