Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
What a lovely update!!!
I am glad you replied, because i wanted to comment further on the idea of letting Matilda brood chicks. In all honestly i wasnt convinced raising chicks would be too much for her to handle. Instead, i thought doing so might ease her boredom and give her something to do. But i deferred to the advice from you and @penny1960 because the idea of chicks for Matilda this year seemed too much for ME.

After the first few days Matilda spent outside, i understood the wisdom in yall's advice. She was visibly stressed and on semi-high alert the first day while amongst her flock. Likely from not knowing what treatment to expect from the others. I saw her give a few small pecks to some hens who invaded her space, and those hens quickly retreated. Most hens paid her no mind at all. One hen did exhibit intentions to bully Matilda, who could not easily retreat. When i saw that hen bully another hen too, i put the bully in detention for a few hours and all was well. But Matilda was Noticeably tired after spending hours outside, & so yes i now clearly see chicks would have left her exhausted. Also, she would have been going outside full-time as the summer heat commenced full-force, & that would not be good for her health either.

But the Biggest reason letting her currently brood chicks would have been a Horrible idea is because of her aforementioned scratchy feet. Footless or not, im certain she would have nevertheless done her best to scratch out all the chick starter from the chick feeder. And almost certainly would have injured her still-healing feet. So thanks again for your input on that matter; im very glad i heeded it. And Matilda's stumps thank you too!

I'm so glad Matilda is still enjoying life despite that horrible accident. You also deserve kudos for taking the time to help her heal. Your kindness and love has given you a bond with Matilda -- enjoy the rewards of your good deeds!
You are right about our increased bond. Ive always joked that amongst my hens, some call me "mom", most call me "ms. chicken lady", and a few (for reasons known only to them) call me "b%tch". Matilda was always sweet and docile, but i feel sure to her i was simply "ms chicken lady." But her actions have definitely changed. Ive noticed she immediately raises up on her stumps to look directly at me when i come outside (thats how i quickly spot her among the flock), & she will often hobble over to stand/lie directly underneath me, similiar as chicks do with their mama hen. Yes it has been obvious to me for a while now, that in Matilda's eyes i am now her Mom.

I am so happy to read these recent posts! Thank you for taking such good care of her, and sharing it all with us.

What is Matilda's friend's name?

Hugs for all of you! :hugs:hugs:hugs
Matilda's friend doesnt (yet) have a name! Due to having a ridiculously vast number of hens, i only name the ones with standout personalities & behaviors, & occasionally on color/appearance. (Plus almost all broodys get a name). I have referred to Matilda's friend as simply "the big red hen.

I definitely think Matilda's friend has earned the right to a proper name, due to her exceptional friendship & devotion. (I am amazed at how often i see her friend standing nearby when i go to check on Matilda). Would you like to name her friend? Both she and i would be honored. 😊

If BYC gave awards for terrific threads, this thread would surely win one. Matilda's heartwarming journey has been inspirational.

I've filed the thread in my reference files and have already linked to it in other frostbite threads.

Matilda has a bit more healing to do and she'll be gradually learning to get around on stumps instead of feet, but I see her one day doing just about everything chickens normally do. It was so wonderful to see her enjoying a dirt bath as that activity is bliss to a chicken.

Matilda's friend doesnt (yet) have a name! Due to having a ridiculously vast number of hens, i only name the ones with standout personalities & behaviors, & occasionally on color/appearance. (Plus almost all broodys get a name). I have referred to Matilda's friend as simply "the big red hen.

I definitely think Matilda's friend has earned the right to a proper name, due to her exceptional friendship & devotion. (I am amazed at how often i see her friend standing nearby when i go to check on Matilda). Would you like to name her friend? Both she and i would be honored. 😊
I only have names for roosters during our massive heat wave lost all my banty birds but now have 7 growing up ..
You have done amamzing things to allow her to live and thrive

If BYC gave awards for terrific threads, this thread would surely win one. Matilda's heartwarming journey has been inspirational.

I've filed the thread in my reference files and have already linked to it in other frostbite threads.

Matilda has a bit more healing to do and she'll be gradually learning to get around on stumps instead of feet, but I see her one day doing just about everything chickens normally do. It was so wonderful to see her enjoying a dirt bath as that activity is bliss to a chicken.
Well you know who my inspiration was.;) i do hope her journey will help others if they face a similiar situation and are unsure whether to euthanize or treat. (Euthanizing Matilda was Never a consideration.) With some time and extra care, a handicapped chicken can definitely resume living a good life.

I haven't posted on this thread before, but have been following since the begining! I always kinda thought Matilda's friend's name could be Miss Honey. From the movie Matilda. In the movie, Miss Honey is the friend, teacher, and mom Matilda always needed

Back
Top Bottom