Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
Seems like you have had some big changes your still handling it better than most might a sling to help her move in a few days might be called for now.
I had the sling on standby if her foot needed to remain uncovered while healing Was advised to keep the wound covered for now, since it is currently very raw and exposed. So i will keep it covered until further healing takes place and a natural protective barrier forms. After that, will revisit the idea of using a sling. She was standing upright while eating this eve. Literally the first time ive seen her standing upright while eating, instead of laying down, since the frostbite ocurred. So she may do just fine without support from a sling.

I had the sling on standby if her foot needed to remain uncovered while healing Was advised to keep the wound covered for now, since it is currently very raw and exposed. So i will keep it covered until further healing takes place and a natural protective barrier forms. After that, will revisit the idea of using a sling. She was standing upright while eating this eve. Literally the first time ive seen her standing upright while eating, instead of laying down, since the frostbite ocurred. So she may do just fine without support from a sling.
Just be careful about allowing her to stand too much on the still open wound- pressure decreases blood flow and can slow healing.

Just be careful about allowing her to stand too much on the still open wound- pressure decreases blood flow and can slow healing.
Thank you for that info; I didnt know. As of now i dont think shes in danger of standing too much; ive been surprised to see her stand at all. But i will continue to monitor her closely. And put her in the sling if need be.

Photo below was taken just now (friday night june 4).

20210603_145059.jpg

These photos were taken 5 days ago. (this past Sunday)

20210530_121806.jpg

20210530_121630.jpg

When the top of foot detached 1 week and 3 days ago, the open wound looked as if it were "hollowed out", with what appeared to be some bones and tissue sticking out from inside of foot. That once hollow interior is now covered, but there is still a distinct edge/area separating the healthy foot pad from the top part that detached.

From the outer side view, the foot still looks similiar to the way it did just before top of foot detached. Except that instead of a dead rigid foot, there is a layer with what still looks like a demarcation line between that and healthy tissue.
20210603_145059~2.jpg

Does the foot look like it's healing ok? Anything i should be doing different?

I havent soaked her right foot in epsom salts (or hibiclens) like i did after her left foot detached. Should i be doing that now? Should i continue to keep wound wrapped for a while longer? (Im thinking yes, due to the area between bottom healthy tissue and top layer is semi-soft and not fully closed, but want to confirm).

Wound definitely looks waaay better than it did 1 week and 3 days ago, & there is no odor.

I would do the hibiclens some more as I concerned
that you are not clean of infections possibly.. On the fence about wrapping now .. We get wound after first few days it is best to leave it open to heal maybe close and .. open during the day ?

I don't have anything helpful to add other than that to my untrained eye it looks like it is healing very well without infection and just scabbing over.

Thank you for being so thorough with your photo documentation! This is all incredibly informative and I know it will help someone in the future who finds themselves in this situation wondering what to expect.

Side note, I have not been receiving notifications about your updates to this thread despite having it on my watch list and being online daily. Very disappointed, I guess I'll just have to keep manually checking back here to make sure I don't miss any future updates!

Back
Top Bottom