Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
It's possible, though we can't know for sure, that the necrotic tissue is only surface tissue. There's reason to hope this is the case because the pad has maintained a healthy blood supply. But that can change and it could eventually die, too.

You won't know until it happens. Frostbite injuries take months to heal. Your hen will deal with it. You will, too.

She'll get over it. Eventually the dead will fall off and that will be her new foot.

One of mine hurt her foot really bad, I don't know what she did to it, but she kept it tucked well over a week and was in great pain for another few weeks after when she'd step on it, to the point she'd sometimes fall over walking, then would go back to just one foot hopping. She eventually got better and you can barely tell now except for a bit of a gallop when she runs, but my point is, she eventually learned to kind of dig with the one hurt food, but as you said Matilda has friends, you have NOTHING to worry about. See, Matilda will hang out with her friends and when one of them digs something up, Matilda will snag it up ! She's working it now pretty good?

If that was dead all the way down, id have thought it'd have fallen off or rotted down by now but maybe it's more like scar tissue or just surface and most the underlying is intact? When it does come off, there probably will be some fresh / raw flesh exposed so keep that clean for a few days so you don't infect it and cause more to start rotting but I think she'll be just fine.

Aaron

I'm not really sure exactly how long it took me to read this entire thread, but WOW am I glad I did.
You have done a superb job caring for her (and ferreting out all the necessary obscure info required to treat her)
I am in awe of you and Matilda.
Thank you so much for sharing your journey. She is one very lucky lady, and I feel sure her story will help save others in the future.

-Sending nothing but good vibes, and looking forward to updates!

That is exactly what i was wanting to know. I have seen some of your posts on other threads, & you seem very knowledgeable. Are you by chance an undercover veterinarian offering your knowledge on byc for free?! :D Probably best not to answer that, but either way thank you very much.

One more question, & i will quit picking your brain. "Blood and gore" doesnt bother me, & i was unfazed when her left foot detached. But i have long dreaded the day the top foot detaches from the bottom. Because what should i expect to see? Exposed bones of her entire foot? Is live tissue currently healing and covering the bones underneath the dead top of foot before it detaches? I have considered the answer to that question for many weeks now, since i knew the top part was dead and the bottom was healthy. I will post photos here when the detachment occurs. But would sure feel better kinda knowing what to expect. There are plenty of photos of amputations such as happened with her left foot, but i can find no similiar photos as the right.
Assuming chicken feet heal the same way as human feet, she will be growing a little bit of tissue and some new skin under the necrotic cap. As long as the necrotic part is kept nice and dry (good call on not putting her on wet ground!), it’s just acting like nature’s band aid for now. If the eschar was to be traumatically ripped off there would likely be some structures visible, but that doesn’t sound likely with the pampering she’s been receiving!

Stephanie (human wound care nurse)

Assuming chicken feet heal the same way as human feet, she will be growing a little bit of tissue and some new skin under the necrotic cap. As long as the necrotic part is kept nice and dry (good call on not putting her on wet ground!), it’s just acting like nature’s band aid for now. If the eschar was to be traumatically ripped off there would likely be some structures visible, but that doesn’t sound likely with the pampering she’s been receiving!

Stephanie (human wound care nurse)
Tu for your info, & also tu @ryneaeilel for your input last week. And VERY timely. Because Matilda's foot began to show signs of separating two days ago. I was researching "eschar", earlier today, which helped me understand what ive been seeing these last several weeks.

Checked on her just now and foot was dangling. Picked her up to examine & medicate foot, sat her back down, & just her taking a step forward completed the detachment.

WARNING: graphic photos below and advice requested. The remaining foot May be infected. I dont have a great sense of smell (no not because of covid), but i can smell a bad odor. It is Possible it is the dead portion of foot that was source of odor, because dead foot reeks. The first 2 photos are of foot remainder after dead part came off. 2nd 2 photos are of foot as it was detaching.

Have doused open wound with veterycin, smothered with triple antibiotic ointment, & just now covered with a non-stick gauze bandage. Is the above sufficient to kill any infection? Should i soak in epsom salts, hibicens, etc? Should wound be covered? (If i dont cover wound, most all the antibiotic ointment will end up on Matildas feathers, since she usually lays on her legs. But I can put her back in sling to solve that problem if need be. If my home treatment suffices, then i will continue. I can take her to vet tomorrow (or later down the road) if needbe. As always, Matilda offered no resistance over this latest development. She is a very good girl, & an awesome chicken.

Attachments

• 20210525_142242.jpg
    20210525_142242.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210525_140737.jpg
    20210525_140737.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210525_140426.jpg
    20210525_140426.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 37
I just checked on her again and temporary bandage has come off. So i can take more photos/provide more info if requested. Her right foot has perplexed me from the beginning. The condition of the left foot (a goner) was evident after the first few weeks of frostbite injury. The right foot continues to be more complicated.

Back
Top Bottom