Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
To those who insisted their birds never got their feet wet but nevertheless suffered severe frostbite, my guess is contact with frozen metal was a cause.
Interestingly, frostbite is possible not only without water or metal, but also without having super low temps(though the odds definitely increase the colder the air is). My understanding is that proper ventilation, specifically overhead space above the roosting area, is the first step in preventing frostbitten bits. I can't find the longer thread I read about it on initially, but here is a shorter thread that briefly expands on some of these things: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ilation-and-insulation.1426049/#post-23466104

It does seem to me her lower beak has grown longer since her injury, so i may need to figure out how to file the lower beak. Or even better, give her a method to file it herself, same as she did when she was living free outside. Any ideas anyone? The fact that her lower beak seems to be growing, (while her upper beak never grows) Has been on my mind.
I actually recently had to file down a beak, haha. Definitely recommend it! The chicken I did it on had a super overgrown upper beak from going broody too long and not wearing it down. It was at the point where she was having to tilt her head sideways 90 degrees to actually get food in her mouth, poor thing.

I used pet nail clippers and a nail file to sand it down after. It's kinda like clipping pet toenails, you just don't want to cut too deep. You can use a small flashlight to help find the quick in the beak so you know where to stop trimming, if needed. Keep some cornstarch/kwik stop on hand just in case to stop any blood. Also be sure to sand/file it down to a blunted edge afterwards so she doesn't have a razor blade on her face. She'll easily hurt herself or other birds on accident trying to use it to preen or peck.

Normally chickens will naturally file their own beaks after eating. If you provide them with a nice flat brick or something near where they feed, they will go and wipe both sides of their beak after eating to keep it neat. I found a concrete block and placed it right next to the feeder in our coop and have watched all of our girls use it frequently ever since.

Maybe you could find a similar brick/block for her to place in her living area? Or maybe even just feed her on/next to a concrete patio or something, I bet she'd wipe her beak on the ground and keep it down that way.

@KaseylSnow the brick next to her feed bowl idea is Perfect; thank you for that! If i need to trim her beak Once to get it more manageable, i will do so.

Im glad you mentioned the fact that poultry can get frostbite due to improper ventilation causing excess moisture buildup in the coop. People may know good ventilation is necessary to prevent respiratory problems, but yes good ventilation can also prevent frostbite. I never think of the ventilation issue, due to the fact my coops and runs are constructed to deal with hot dry summers in mind. They are open on 3 sides (with the north sides temporarily tarped if a strong winter cold front is expected), so ventilation is Never an issue with my set-ups. But yes, if coop moisture builds up and then freezes, birds can get frostbite inside what seems like a cozy comfy coop.

I used to raise Bearded Dragons, and being animals, well, every once in a while they'd get into a kerfluffle, or get hurt and someone would get infected etc. Some of them I got were rescues, and I unfortunately got them when they were generally way past poor health and somehow were just still hanging in there. ... to the point. sometimes antibiotics are unavailable, the vet appointment is too far out, many days, or other factors. I used to goto any, even the cheap pet places like the walmart pet department, and you can get tetracycline and other antibiotics in the fish tank department. It comes in capsules and does not require a visit or script to get. Break them open and mix with water. I used to do this when I had to give them subcutaneous shots for infection.

Just an idea for some quick antiB's if you need them and are in a jam.

Aaron

I used to raise Bearded Dragons, and being animals, well, every once in a while they'd get into a kerfluffle, or get hurt and someone would get infected etc. Some of them I got were rescues, and I unfortunately got them when they were generally way past poor health and somehow were just still hanging in there. ... to the point. sometimes antibiotics are unavailable, the vet appointment is too far out, many days, or other factors. I used to goto any, even the cheap pet places like the walmart pet department, and you can get tetracycline and other antibiotics in the fish tank department. It comes in capsules and does not require a visit or script to get. Break them open and mix with water. I used to do this when I had to give them subcutaneous shots for infection.

Just an idea for some quick antiB's if you need them and are in a jam.

Aaron
Please please be careful with the use of antibiotics!!! Improper use such as not knowing the correct dosages, using for an incorrect length of time, using for a virus, using for a bacteria that the specific antibiotic is not intended for, etc. helps to increase the problems with “super bugs” - bacteria that learn/ change to become resistant to antibiotics, which then makes treating things that much more difficult.

Matilda is now officially a Therapy Chicken in training! Took her on her first public outing today. She was calm as could be, & passed with flying colors. She's already putting smiles on people's faces!

Attachments

• 20210415_152705.jpg
    20210415_152705.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210415_140747.jpg
    20210415_140747.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210415_124342.jpg
    20210415_124342.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210415_124324.jpg
    20210415_124324.jpg