Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
Your are exactly right, you really don't want the foot to dry out. The key to this, a VERY important step, is to apply a THICK layer of Neosporin over the wound/stump to keep it moist. The Neosporin keeps it moist, while protecting it from bacteria with the antibacterial features. Then, the key to keeping Neosporin on without wrapping, is keeping her in that sling so the Neosporin doesn't get rubbed off. Since the sling keeps her stump off the ground.
You are doing an amazing job! Remember, never hesitate to ask questions, and don't feel idk you have to search elsewhere first, you can ask any question here that you want. I got false info somewhere else that wasn't from an expert, and my hen payed the price. Keep up the amazing work! :hugsYou got this!
One thing (among many) that i really love about byc is that if someone offers incorrect advice, someone else usually quickly steps in with a correction. Yes i have seem MANY falsehoods on individual websites in the past. I still research other sites ocassionally, but verify info here. The true pros are on byc!

One thing (among many) that i really love about byc is that if someone offers incorrect advice, someone else usually quickly steps in with a correction. Yes i have seem MANY falsehoods on individual websites in the past. I still research other sites ocassionally, but verify info here. The true pros are on byc!
That's the great thing about this site. Everyone learns together. Nothing is set in stone and there's always going to be a better way to treat something as we learn. ❤️

Not trying to step on anyone’s toes but research has shown for some time moist wounds heal at a rate three to five times faster than dry wounds. Especially when a foot is involved and the risk of 💩 contamination is high, personally I wound want to keep the wound covered. However, she is already well on her way to healing and I think either dry or wet, she will still heal.

As for the other foot, it could be possible that she will have partial skin and tissue regrowth on the top of her foot. This happened to my rooster who’s comb tips were all frost bitten. The damaged tissue did fall off, and in time the skin regrew, but this was because the damage was largely surface. We can only hope for the best :/
You meant the first several words as a pun, right? 🤣 Of course theres nothing funny about her situation, but since crying doesnt help im gonna laugh when i can. 😊 On a serious note, since the separation only happened 2 days ago, does that qualify as "well on the way to healing"? The bloody protuberance has dried out, but i think it could easily bleed again if Matilda pecks it.

From the experiences of Barth the rooster, his owner has to help him preen and give very occasional baths. She rubs his face with a soft toothbrush to help him scratch where he can’t scratch. She keeps a chicken diaper on him so he can stay on a soft pillow because he has experienced tissue breakdown on his nubs. I cannot recall how long it took him to learn to walk, but he can walk. He was in much poorer condition than your Matilda when she took him in.

Edited to add: no don’t keep her in the sling all the time. I’d think of it like a person who is bedridden, they need to be rotated to prevent bedsores. She’d probably get areas that felt uncomfortable from the pressure of being in the same position, but I’m only theorizing.
I did remember Barts owner helping him clean himself, but didnt remember about the diaper due to nub sores. I know Bart was in Really bad shape emotionally. Matilda is emotionally a very happy hen as of now, but her size May prove an impediment to walking on stubs; time will tell. Tu for your input.

Tu everyone for all your input, advice and support. Ive often read where others mention how supportive and helpful the byc community is. I know thats true, & Ive done my best to offer support and advice myself. But Matilda's issue is the first time ive ever Made a thread. Which means this is the first time ive been on the receiving end of such support. Yep, its amazing!!! I dont plan to post any more photos until the appearance of either leg changes noticeably, or unless i have more questions. But meanwhile, i hope anyone who has advice to offer will do so. Tu again. 🙂

I would suggest a walker. Put her in the sling for part of the day, but I would keep her in the walker for most of the time. The walker allows her to put some weight on her legs, while supporting he rest of her body weight to help her learn to walk. Best you do this on a hard wood or flat floor with Vet wrap on the outside of the wrapping to give her grip. That will be the easiest way for her to learn.
Then, take her out of the walker/sling all together, and just let her hang out on the shavings/towel.
When she is practicing walking in the walker, I would suggest wrapping it. Of course, because then it pads the stump, etc, etc. You already know this. ;)
I really hope she gets mobile soon! Keep up the good work!

This is a little late of a reply, but to me it looks like the bloody blob on the nub is just tissue, but the protuberance in the center could very well be bone. If it IS bone and is sticking out that far beyond the tissue, the tissue may have a very difficult time growing enough to eventually cover it - therefore you may end up with an open wound for an extended period of time allowing for infection to take hold. At this point if a vet is an option she may benefit from having the extra bone removed and the wound closed. If not, maybe just watch it closely and be prepared for a very long recovery. On the other foot, to me, it appears all toes will be lost and there will be a wound up the front of the leg which, again with proper care, has a good chance of healing.

Also a good rule of thumb with wounds (at least in humans) is “if it’s wet, dry it. If it’s dry, wet it.” So a wound that is constantly oozing needs to be kept dry so the surrounding tissue doesn’t get excoriated and a dry wound needs moisture added to promote cell mobility across the wound bed.

good luck with Matilda, it seems she is in good hands.

@BGcoop , You addresssed my exact concern as to whether the blob was just tissue or included bone. How do i tell? Ive already considered taking her to a vet, but the only vet around that treats chickens (45 minutes away) is a bit questionable as to how good she is. (Ive heard bad and good stories about her.) She is still an option for an exam and prescription meds of needed, but i wouldnt trust that vet as far as anesthetic or surgery. Im going to reread your post again because you addressed several of my concerns. Tu very much for all the info.

@BGcoop , You addresssed my exact concern as to whether the blob was just tissue or included bone. How do i tell? Ive already considered taking her to a vet, but the only vet around that treats chickens (45 minutes away) is a bit questionable as to how good she is. (Ive heard bad and good stories about her.) She is still an option for an exam and prescription meds of needed, but i wouldnt trust that vet as far as anesthetic or surgery. Im going to reread your post again because you addressed several of my concerns. Tu very much for all the info.
The only way to tell if it is bone or tissue is to examine it. I would give it a day or two heavily covered in ointment to keep it moist and then look closely after a thorough cleaning. If it is kept moist, tissue should be pliable, bone will be stiff-(like bone).

Back
Top Bottom